We have upgraded the HELL out of this site. If you have any problems or find any errors let us know. Please update any bookmarks to match the new pages. Thanks and Enjoy!

Author Topic: Need Parts to Fix My Sick Truck  (Read 55465 times)

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

• My lugnuts require more torque than Hondas produce
Need Parts to Fix My Sick Truck
« on: August 19, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »
Well I did a big number on my old friend a couple of weeks ago...

I was coming up to a signal doing about 40, checked my mirror's, looked up and realized the two cars in front of me were stopping at the yellow. I hit my brakes and moved into the left turn lane to avoid the rear end of the car in front of me. It immediately unloaded the rear axle swinging the rear out. I tried to counter- steer but it came to a stop and high sided over on the drivers side. Then onto the roof.
Since I have a face value of $18,500 on my truck (I was going in the next week to get it bumped up to $30,000) it will get fixed. I need to get parts!

Already have a lead on a cab, doors, hood and a bed(maybe).
Short beds are tough to find in decent shape.

*I need a grille. I found a brand new one on E-Bay. It's still in a box! All for the paltry sum of $500.00!!!
I really don't need a primo one... I'm going to paint it anyway.
Anyone?
*I destroyed one of my old grab bars that I've had on my truck since it was new. I can't seem to find another one like it.
* I really liked my old side view mirrior's. Now one is flat. They mount at four points. Need the drivers side. I searched and all I found was 3 point mounts.
Anyone?
I even broke my interior light lens. But found a brand new one on E-Bay.

Any leads would be appreciated.

500 c.i. Indy Aluminum  heads, Hughes 2832 Cam, Six-Pack, 727  (reverse-manual, low band apply, 5 clutch disc, 3 qt. xtra. pan), N.P. 205, Ford 9" rear ( 4:11, 31 spline axles, Detroit Locker,disc brakes). Dana 44 front (the weak link) (converted/ disc, 4:10, Tru-Trac limited slip). Gear Vendors OD.

Offline Jedrattle

Re: Need Parts to Fix My Sick Truck
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o   That completely sucks!!! At least you are OK!! I will look through some of my stuff and see if I can find anything. Keep us dated on your progress! I am happy to hear you are going to it back together 8)
way too many and not enough $$$

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
  • I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:32:47 AM »
So sorry to hear and SEE what happened. A picture is worth a thousand words.... Glad you are OK, on the outside at least. Inside you must be all broke up about it. I know I would be. All you've been through together and THIS is how she gets taken down? Not fair! Glad to hear you will rebuild her. Next time take out a Honda or a Toyota or something. My RC ate one of each in the first week on the road. I did get a scratch on the bumper but I was going to throw that away anyways.  :thumbsup:

I think I can help with the grill. I keep everything, no matter how big or small. I have a '73 grill in good shape. Will donate to a good home and I can't think of a better one!

That bed can be saved I think. Just get a skin (long or short) and reskin that side. Of course, if you find a good bed just swap it and save the labor.

Anything else you need? I may have it. No mirrors or grab handles, sorry. They may be really hard to find. Stuff like that tends to gets made for a short time and then forgetten about.

Bill Cooke
Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!

Offline EarlKann

• Rattle Kann Kustoms
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:57:51 AM »
Wow!  Totally sucks, but at least everyone is OK.  I don't have much Dodge stuff left but I'll keep an eye out in the junk yards for ya.
Wanted: Set of 80's style gold mod/nugget wheels in good condition.

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:47:27 PM »
Well things are coming together fairly well. I appreciate the comments.
I've been at the shop taking of the "custom" stuff of of my truck.
I scored a pretty decent cab at the local wrecking yard. (At least this made my body guy happy. Sort of. He tends to be grumpy  :icon_biggrin:)
I'm looking for a '78-'79 Grille. I've seen them at Mopar shows in the past. I know their out there. I just don't want to pay the big price for a perfect one since I'm going to paint it anyway.
The mirror brackets on the bad side actually look decent. Those are some tough dudes. It collapsed into the door when I went over. I even found some of those 4 point mounts on a '75 Club Cab in a junk yard in Coachella! So now I have 4 sets! Go figure.
The grab bar (a old Vic Hickey item) even looks saveable.
I'm trying to find a drivers side door panel. My original one took quite a beating when I went over.  I've found all kinds of the plastic '76 and later ones. I need the '72- '74 fiberglass one. I still like that one the best. I like the way it fits my leg.
The bed is still an issue. My body guy wants to replace it. I sourced out leads in California and Oregon. The one in Oregon sounds the best, but they don't have the means to ship it. Plus no one up there has a digital camera to take a picture of it.
I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:50:51 PM by KurtfromLaQuinta »
500 c.i. Indy Aluminum  heads, Hughes 2832 Cam, Six-Pack, 727  (reverse-manual, low band apply, 5 clutch disc, 3 qt. xtra. pan), N.P. 205, Ford 9" rear ( 4:11, 31 spline axles, Detroit Locker,disc brakes). Dana 44 front (the weak link) (converted/ disc, 4:10, Tru-Trac limited slip). Gear Vendors OD.

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
I have a perfect '79 quad headlight grill. I mean Perfect! It has already been painted too. What do you offer me for that? (PM me or email me) I wasn't really thinking of selling it to be honest. I kind of wanted to make a clone of my old truck someday but it would be a shame to leave you hanging for a "maybe, someday". I never seem to get around to anything these days so that someday may be years from now.

Are there any beds out in AZ? There are a ton of Dodges out there and no rust. It's a lot closer for you too.

Bill

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
I have a perfect '79 quad headlight grill. I mean Perfect! It has already been painted too. What do you offer me for that? (PM me or email me) I wasn't really thinking of selling it to be honest. I kind of wanted to make a clone of my old truck someday but it would be a shame to leave you hanging for a "maybe, someday". I never seem to get around to anything these days so that someday may be years from now.

Are there any beds out in AZ? There are a ton of Dodges out there and no rust. It's a lot closer for you too.

Bill

Thanks Bill.
I always loved those quad headlight grilles. And have had opportunities in the past to get one at various Mopar shows. I'll probably stick with the 7"round headlight, though. I've been running the Hella H-4 lamps with 55w low/ 100w highs for a while now and really like the light they give. And that's one of the things that didn't break in the roll over!  ;D
The bed issue has me bugged the most now. I've had two bone yards looking for me. And all I get is the same yard up in Irwindale and one in Oregon. The place in Oregon recommended one in Fresno, but they didn't call me back. So I'll call them on Monday to bug them again. I did find a couple of Utilitian beds. Funny, they weren't as common as the Sweptline beds. Go figure... again.

Offline Jedrattle

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 10:00:02 AM »
 I am going to a few jy in the next week or so I will keep eye out for some stuff.

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
The quad and single light grills are the same except for the trim ring around the lights. If you can find rings then this one will work for you. Let me know

Bill

Offline EarlKann

• Rattle Kann Kustoms
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
Just curious what people are quoting you for a bed.  Would it be possible to buy a whole truck just for some parts and then re-sell it without the bed, or with your fubared bed on it? 

Something like these?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1313099734.html

I actually really like this club cab shorty.   :glasses10:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1334698987.html

Offline hilton8r

• You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
  • Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »
Kurt!!!

I'm so sorry to read this post. It always seems to be the pretty red ones that wind up belly up. I've been without cel phone/internet/email for just over 2 weeks, so I'm just now getting caught up.

I know somebody in Colorado who may have a parts truck. I'll ask about a short bed for you. I'm really glad to hear that you are ok, and that you are fixing the ol' girl up again. Take care,

John
2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »
The quad and single light grills are the same except for the trim ring around the lights. If you can find rings then this one will work for you. Let me know

Bill
I appreciate all of your help everyone! The bed is still kinda of an issue. I've found about 8 of them so far. From 7 in Oregon. To 2 in California.
My body guy wants the most perfectest one.He said we need to keep the body work to a minimum. The insurance company on the preliminary estimate allowed for $800.00 in body work.  My body guy friend doesn't like dealing with insurance companies. And neither do I. I need to call my broker because the adjuster said if I hit a certain percentage, they will total it. I need some answers from them.
Bill about that light ring... my original Trail Duster grill was all one piece... must be year specific? Anyway I hate to buy yours if you plan on using it later. I'm sure I'll find one soon enough.
I wish I could find the drivers side fiberglass door panel. That must be just a couple year specific one?
Once the decision is made on the bed, it should start rolling along. I hope.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:09:01 PM by KurtfromLaQuinta »

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 07:51:51 PM »
Just curious what people are quoting you for a bed.  Would it be possible to buy a whole truck just for some parts and then re-sell it without the bed, or with your fubared bed on it?  

Something like these?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1313099734.html

I actually really like this club cab shorty.   :glasses10:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1334698987.html
I found beds from $300 to $600. I found Mopar specific junk yards. One in Oregon... http://www.wildcatmopars.com/index.htm... that has 6 of them.   Most are in the same shape. Of course, there all pushing 40 years old.
Yeah. I considered the whole truck route. That maybe the option I'll take.
I've been keeping an eye on a '73 W-100 in Indio for over 25 years now. I've tried to get a hold of the guy that has it in his material yard. I thought I would try to get it and it disappeared! I left a note on his door and he called me. They put it inside and decided to fix it after sitting there for 30 years! He told me to contact a guy in La Quinta who has one... it turns out it's me!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:05:26 PM by KurtfromLaQuinta »

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 01:01:16 AM »
Any good news?
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »
Any good news?
Well... It's still in the body shop.
I've been chipping away at the cab... it's empty now.
 I ended up getting this up in Hesperia . http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1313099734.html
Well, the listing is gone because I got it.
A big thanks to Mr. EarlKann!

My truck is (was) a Cadillac compared to that beast from Hesperia!  :laughing5:
It will be on the road soon.

Still need a grill.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:23:47 PM by KurtfromLaQuinta »

Offline EarlKann

• Rattle Kann Kustoms
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 10:39:47 PM »
Was that the burgundy 76?  It looked like a decent truck. 

Hope you get it done soon!

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 12:54:29 AM »
Right on. Couldn't see the listing, but I remember the burgandy one. I liked it from what I saw if it is! :occasion14:

When are you coming to get it?
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
Was that the burgundy 76?  It looked like a decent truck. 

Hope you get it done soon!
Yessir!
Thanks again Mr. Earl!
 It was the burgundy one. It was a little rough. The people were going to restore it. The hood was in sad shape. Thankfully I have a really good spare one laying around.
The bed is in decent shape except for the cracking bondo on the passenger side fender. (My body guy cringed.  :protest:  :laughing7:)
The cab is decent and also the doors.
It has a notchy truck four speed in it. And boy, can that thing leak oil!  :o
The body dude friend now has somebody disassembling it. I need to get back there and finish taking mine apart. All of a sudden, I got really busy with work. I need to take off the trans tunnel and miscellaneous stuff off the fenders. Otherwise, the cab is stripped out along with the bed and both ready to go.
I can't wait to redo all my wiring! I got some real nice marine buss bars to really make it right this time.

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 05:57:06 PM »
Right on. Couldn't see the listing, but I remember the burgandy one. I liked it from what I saw if it is! :occasion14:

When are you coming to get it?
I got it last Saturday. (Labor day weekend)
That was one intense drive home.
One very stinky, noisy W-150 there.
And coming down the Cajon Pass the traffic was pretty heavy. I noticed what I thought was a piece of carpet rolling along in the #2 lane. As I got closer, I saw it was a dog with really long hair! He got up and tried to run but going almost 70 mph he fell and rolled again! He got back up and ran some more! By then I passed it. I figured that it would quickly be dog pancake. But my wife, who was following me (trying to see though the oil drippings from the truck I was driving) said it ran behind her and started down the emergency lane! I passed a car stopping in the emergency lane with the window down in the back :iamwithstupid:. And the dog was running down to them! That's going to be one sore dog.

Offline Jedrattle

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
 I have a really nice front bumper for cheap if you are interested.