We have upgraded the HELL out of this site. If you have any problems or find any errors let us know. Please update any bookmarks to match the new pages. Thanks and Enjoy!

Author Topic: 1982 Dodge W150 4x4  (Read 110584 times)

Offline enafzige

• Shadetree mechanic
  • Friend of ORE
  • Jer 33.3
Re: 1982 Dodge W150 4x4
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
...continued

Well, saturday was spent putting on a timing belt and water pump on Iris's car.  Dad got a little welding done on Warren though, so progress is continueing, albeit alot slower than anticipated.

The front bumper is so heavy, that I was concerned the bolts may pull through the relatively thin frame.  I made 3/8" plate to weld to the inside of the frame rail, and the another 3/8" plate to box it in.  The two 3/8" plates are tied together with shedule 80 pipe and fully welded.  It's not cleaned up yet, but I think this should eliminate the bumper mounting problem!

Here's the 3/4" solid spacers installed behind the front mount for the rear leaf springs...they'll get welded to the frame as well.

The Procomp 56" 13511 springs came in.  Here's a quick shot of them sitting next to the existing 5.5" lift Superlift front springs...

I'll definately be taking out the bottom two leaves as a starting point.  Has anyone every tried redrilling the spring pack to move the centering pin?  Since it'd just be moved a few inches, the original hole would be under the spring plate in the "dead zone" and shouldn't effect the strength of the pack, right?

I'm off tomorrow and Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to make a little progress this weekend.

:usa2: :icon_salut: :icon_smile: :usa2:  HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!   :usa2: :icon_smile: :icon_salut: :usa2:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:24:53 PM by enafzige »
1987 Dodge 4x4 Legend Lime, NP435/NP205, Dana 60/70 with ARB air lockers, custom suspension in progress
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins 6-speed, 640 hp/1170 ft-lbs, Carli Suspension w/ Bistein 9100 RRs, 7100 stabilizers, and 4" bumps

Offline hilton8r

• You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
  • Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »
Congratulations! That's exciting news!!! (The Toyos and the Engagement!!!) ;D
Happy Turkey Day to you as well.

John
2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Sten

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »
...Has anyone every tried redrilling the spring pack to move the centering pin?  Since it'd just be moved a few inches, the original hole would be under the spring plate in the "dead zone" and shouldn't effect the strength of the pack, right?

Hi. Congratulations for the engagement
Nice project you have here. I'm a bit late here but I just hope that you don't have redrilled your springs. That would be a bad decision, they tend to crack a while after they have been  in traffic. You can redo the springplate a little but don't try it with the springs. / Sten

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:09:28 AM by hiltman »
80 Dodge Ramcharger SE 318 modified
99 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train customized
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
05 Chrysler 300C 3,5

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 01:11:39 AM »
I agree with Sten. I haven't tried it, nor have I read about anybody doing it successfully. I'd be concerned about safety because it will definitely weaken the spring.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:17:16 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
  • I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
I tried it once, could not get a drill through the steel. Spring steel is HARD! It was just a test to see if it could be done. I used an old spring to test it on. I now make offset plates from 1/2" steel and some short allen head bolts for the pin if it's less than 1 1/2" you need to ofset.

I heard from two different people on this. One said he did it all the time and it's no big deal. He was an idiot at 4wheel parts that I wouldn't let put gas in my truck. The other was a famous spring maker here locally "Deaver Spring". They said there is no way to do it, they will break within two weeks. I have had springs break on me at the hole before so I would think multiple holes would be worse. I am going with 'don't do it'

Bill Cooke

Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »
I'm super stoked to see the sun lately. I was also super stoked about getting some wrenching time in this weekend until Bill mentioned in an email that it's supposed to rain again this weekend. C'mon already... I have a hard enough time getting motivated lately. Why does it always rain when I am? I removed the tint from the front driver/passenger windows of my dually AND I purchased a set of rocktamer mud flaps for my dually. Fortunately, I found the 2nd license plate for the front bumper. I thought I was going to have to make a trip to the dmv for plates. I'm trying to get legit for the fix it tickets I got in LA on New Years Eve.

Eric,
I'd imagine you guys have gotten a fair amount of snow, so I'll quit my whining about our much needed rain!
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline enafzige

• Shadetree mechanic
  • Friend of ORE
  • Jer 33.3
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
I'm a bit late here but I just hope that you don't have redrilled your springs. That would be a bad decision, they tend to crack a while after they have been  in traffic. You can redo the springplate a little but don't try it with the springs. / Sten

Thanks for the advice guys...yeah, I think I'll refrain from drilling any more holes!

I actually got some 56" chevy springs that I'm going to try for the front.  They seemed way too stiff, so I unbolted the pack and took out the bottom overload, and one other spring.  In putting them back together, I wanted to put the little plastic "snubber" at the end of a couple leaves.  I tried drilling, and quickly gave up!  That spring steel is nearly impossible to drill with much success!

Mostly I've not been doing much with this project.  Yes, we've had a good deal of snow, but mostly just frustratingly low temperatures...at least to be working outside!

Thanks for the congrats!  We've set the date for March 20, so I'm gonna be hitched in 5 weeks!  We're planning a delayed honeymoon to Alaska in July.  The plan is to be gone 3 weeks and 4 weekends, and drive around and see as much as we can...so, I anticipate much of my time between now and July will be getting the '06 Dodge ready for the wilderness adventure!  Of course, I'll be plugging away at the old dodge as time allows, but the plan is to hit it heavy after the honeymoon.

--Eric
1987 Dodge 4x4 Legend Lime, NP435/NP205, Dana 60/70 with ARB air lockers, custom suspension in progress
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins 6-speed, 640 hp/1170 ft-lbs, Carli Suspension w/ Bistein 9100 RRs, 7100 stabilizers, and 4" bumps

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

• My lugnuts require more torque than Hondas produce
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »
What a great story!
I have to apologize for being selfish here.
I've been so involved in my project, I missed all your post.
I'm glad I found them.
It's encouraging to see someone else working on a project like yours.
Keep it up ! :icon_cheers:

500 c.i. Indy Aluminum  heads, Hughes 2832 Cam, Six-Pack, 727  (reverse-manual, low band apply, 5 clutch disc, 3 qt. xtra. pan), N.P. 205, Ford 9" rear ( 4:11, 31 spline axles, Detroit Locker,disc brakes). Dana 44 front (the weak link) (converted/ disc, 4:10, Tru-Trac limited slip). Gear Vendors OD.

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
I'm a bit late here but I just hope that you don't have redrilled your springs. That would be a bad decision, they tend to crack a while after they have been  in traffic. You can redo the springplate a little but don't try it with the springs. / Sten

Thanks for the congrats!  We've set the date for March 20, so I'm gonna be hitched in 5 weeks!  We're planning a delayed honeymoon to Alaska in July.  The plan is to be gone 3 weeks and 4 weekends, and drive around and see as much as we can...so, I anticipate much of my time between now and July will be getting the '06 Dodge ready for the wilderness adventure!  Of course, I'll be plugging away at the old dodge as time allows, but the plan is to hit it heavy after the honeymoon.

--Eric
Eric!
I hope the wedding went smooth yesterday.
If you need any advice on Alaska, give me a holler.
I've driven up there twice in my truck from our home here in the South California desert .
The first time was in '76 on our honeymoon.
The second was almost 4 years ago on our 30th wedding anniversary.
We pretty much retraced the whole previous first trip.
Two of the best road trips we have ever done.
It's one of the best ways to see Alaska.
Stay out of Canada as much as possible.
Really nice people but they tax the snot out of their fuel to make it painful to purchase it.
A tip here... tell them it's for an RV. They'll give you a little break!
If you can, you should try to get reservations on the Alaskan Marine Ferry.
You can board in Hanies (a quirky and cool little town to spend time in) and take it all the way down to Seattle.
We did this both times, and it was one of the big highlights of the trips!
If you do, try to figure out some stop overs in Juneau, Sitka or anyplace else you can afford.
There are some really cool places to see and things to do from those "cities".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:15:22 PM by KurtfromLaQuinta »
500 c.i. Indy Aluminum  heads, Hughes 2832 Cam, Six-Pack, 727  (reverse-manual, low band apply, 5 clutch disc, 3 qt. xtra. pan), N.P. 205, Ford 9" rear ( 4:11, 31 spline axles, Detroit Locker,disc brakes). Dana 44 front (the weak link) (converted/ disc, 4:10, Tru-Trac limited slip). Gear Vendors OD.

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
I visited Sitka and Juneau. Alaska is truly amazing. The wildlife was really cool. I still haven't seen all of the pictures my Uncle took. I think I'll remind him. Congratulations on your nuptuals!
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline enafzige

• Shadetree mechanic
  • Friend of ORE
  • Jer 33.3
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
Eric!
I've driven up there twice in my truck from our home here in the South California desert .
Really nice people but they tax the snot out of their fuel to make it painful to purchase it.
You can board in Hanies (a quirky and cool little town to spend time in) and take it all the way down to Seattle.
If you do, try to figure out some stop overs in Juneau, Sitka or anyplace else you can afford.

Thanks for the tips!  I plan on making an extra 50 gallon fuel tank, so that will give me an 85 gallon capacity, and hopefully around a 1200 mile range.  We just ordered the 2010 Milepost this week, so we'll pour through that and see what we come up with.  I'll check out the Alaskan Marine Ferry for sure!!!

Thanks again, Eric

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »
I couldn't help but laugh when I saw your "Shade Tree Mechanic" description considering your history with trees! :'(
1943 Dodge WC51...

Dustin

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
You are truly an inspiration. I have been sitting on a 1991 W150 for years now. I am gonna start to tear it down soon.

:whip2:

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »
You are truly an inspiration. I have been sitting on a 1991 W150 for years now. I am gonna start to tear it down soon.

:whip2:

Welcome to ORE Dustin. Post  a couple pics in the Real Wheels Photo Gallery. The link is at the top. I host my pictures at photobucket because it's free. A few of us live in So Cal if you happen to be anywhere near us. See ya,

John
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline KurtfromLaQuinta

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »
Eric!

Thanks for the tips!  I plan on making an extra 50 gallon fuel tank, so that will give me an 85 gallon capacity, and hopefully around a 1200 mile range.  We just ordered the 2010 Milepost this week, so we'll pour through that and see what we come up with.  I'll check out the Alaskan Marine Ferry for sure!!!

Thanks again, Eric

I have the stock 26 gallon tank behind the seat.
We never had problems on our second trip back in '06 with gas.
I carried 3 five gallon G.I. cans and only dumped in a 5 one time.
There are gas stations spaced out well at every little community along the Alaska Highway.
I pasted one on the way to Anchorage that I knew I should have stopped in.
That's why I came up a little short that one time.
We stopped for gas almost every 3-4 hours.
It was a nice break because some days we drove over 10 hours.

The first time we went in '76 we had to be really careful with the gas situation.
But even then, every little outpost would have gas.
Just sometimes you had to knock on a door, and the owner would give you a key to the pump, you'd pay them, and you were on your way.  

Watch out for the Canadian liter.
Gas is very pricey in all of Canada.
Your helping pay for all their handouts.
Again tell them your driving a RV.
You'll get a little break in the price.
All the larger communities take American dollars but that might not be an advantage because of the exchange rate.
If you use a credit card, you'll get charged an exchange rate.
If you do use your card, make sure your card company knows what your up to.
We didn't and we had problems all the way to Dawson City.
They thought our card was stolen.
Even though we had to call them every day for about 5 days to tell them it was us!

If you decide to go the ferry route... make reservations early.
Their staterooms fill up fast.
You can camp out on the fantails of the ferries, but it's not near as comfortable as your own room.

I want to go again!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:07:37 AM by KurtfromLaQuinta »

Offline enafzige

• Shadetree mechanic
  • Friend of ORE
  • Jer 33.3
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
Hey Guys!!

I don't have hardly anything to report truck-wise, but thought I'd just give a quick update.

Like usual, things have not gone like planned.  Alaska was absolutely incredible!!!!  But, as soon as we got back, things quickly took a turn for the worse.

Our first day back, my wife got layed off from her job.  No two-week notice, or anything.  Just go home.  The bad part is, is the apartment we were staying in was an employee unit, so they gave us 14 days to be out!  My sister had a tubing accident on the lake when we were gone, and sustained major head trauma.  She was in a coma and having repeated seizures.  After they got her stabilized and back to consciousness, they found out she had no feeling or movement from the waist down.  She is 24 years old, and had just gotten married 5 weeks earlier.  My wife's car broke down to the point that it wasn't worth fixing.  Someone decided to beat out the taillights on my car during our 14 days of packing up at the apartment.  My dad got layed off from his job after 20 years with the company...and as a result, lost his work truck, welder, tools, etc.  The truck I took to Alaska ended up shearing both lower ball joints, wallowing out both inner axles, and snapping the front driveshaft.  We were practically broke, as we had just used all our savings for our wedding, and for the trip to Alaska.  However, I sold a bunch of stuff, and scraped together enough money to buy a '94 nissan from a friend of a friend in order to move our stuff out of the apartment.  The truck ended up having soooo many problems, that I spent a few weeks pulling parts from the junkyard to get it going.  We found a fix-er-upper house that we could somewhat afford, and put in a contract on it.  Unfortunately ( due to a long story), the realty company re-nigged on our contract and gave it to someone else with inside connections.  And, we lost a big contract at my work for the next year, and possible lay-offs are ahead.  :(

Fast forward to now...  We're living in the camper trailer that we pulled to Alaska.  We've sold/gave away/thrown away most of what we owned due to lack of storage, as the stuff we had was practically worthless anyway.  The camper is parked at mom and dad's house.  My sister has been through intense therapy, and she is actually walking now and back to work!!!  She still has no feeling in her feet and lower legs, no reflexes, and gets bad headaches and dizziness...but she's walking!!!  The truck I took to Alaska is still broke down, waiting on parts (another long story).  My dad has been putting in resumes, but so far has not found a job.  My wife, Iris, has also been seeking employment, but she is now 7 months pregnant, and noone seems interested in hiring her.  I have found a buyer for the '94 nissan (I'll never be so glad to get rid of a vehicle in my life!!!), and plan on buying an old 1st Gen Dodge Cummins to drive to work.  Dad and I are saving, and we plan on buying a welder and some tools, and going from there.

I don't anticipate much progress on the old truck until Spring, due to the lack of a welder, house-hunting, baby on the way, etc.  But, then again, who knows!  We're hanging in there, we have each other, and things are bound to be looking up soon!

--Eric

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:08:19 PM by enafzige »

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:01 PM »
Dang! First and foremost, congratulations on your baby! I will be an Uncle a couple times over in the near future. My Brother will have a baby girl on or before Wednesday, and my Sister will have a baby boy in December. Jed Rattle (on this site) has a baby on the way too. I'm excited for you Eric!

I worked with a lady who returned to a pink slip after a 3 week vacation she had planned/saved for over the previous 3 years. I guess they figured they could get by without her indefinitely, if they could get by without her for 3 weeks. Of course, the rest of us had to absorb her workload. That trend has continued for several years now.

I'm sorry to hear about all of the bad luck. Bad stuff definitely happens to good people. You seem to have a great attitude, and will certainly get through this, and be stronger/wiser for having done so. Anything is possible with the support of family/friends.

I hope you Sister recovers fully right away. It sounds like she's very lucky!

My friend's step-dad passed away recently. They are getting rid of a lot of stuff (most of it for free). It's amazing how much stuff can accumulate over a lifetime. One of the free items is a portable archwelder, but I can't imagine it would be worth shipping to you... The millermatic 135 was spoken for, but I know who has it, and will keep you in mind if it ends up needing a good home for a reasonable price. Drill press, scroll saw, air compressor, etc... (all old, but in working condition) are some of the other free items. They won't be going through all of the tools until they finish fixing up the house. I may end up that way again to visit my old boss. If so, I'll make sure to visit.

It's great to hear from you. Hang in there Eric. Put that rig on the backburner...

John
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline enafzige

• Shadetree mechanic
  • Friend of ORE
  • Jer 33.3
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »
Hey guys!!!

Well, another somewhat-off-the-subject update...

My wife is due anyday now, dad's still looking for a job and a welder, and dad is scheduled for hip replacement surgery next Tuesday.  Iris's car let down to the point of not being worth fixing, so I found a great deal on a 91.5 W250 Cummins 5-speed that I'm using as my daily driver, and she gets the Ford Festiva :).

Just for grins, here's a few pics of the new daily driver:

It's got a 6" lift and 35's on it now.  I'm seriously thinking about putting the CR33s springs on this truck, and ordering up some Alcan's for the trail truck.

Has anyone had experience with the orbit-eye bushings that Alcan offers?  Here's a link: http://www.alcanspring.com/orbit-eye.htm

I like the design...it seems that it gives the benefits of the bronco roller plates, but that it would offer a lot better stability...

Thoughts?

--Eric

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
That's a sharp looking DD. 8) Everybody I know with an old Dodge, has one that looks like an old Dodge!

You can always enter that Festiva in a rally car event after you guys are back on your feet... ;D

My Dad had hip surgery over 20 years ago. It's amazing how much that surgery has improved over the years. My Brother/Sister in Law just had a baby girl earlier this month. I'm exicited for you, but don't expect to get much sleep in the upcoming months. My Sister is due some time in the middle of December! Take care,

John
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Sten

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
Your new truck looks great, like all those old Dodges. Perhaps I'm a bit weird  ;D .

I took a look at The Alcan joint too and think that should do the job on a trail truck. The design do look good and the joints are greasable too. I have poly bushings and they don't like the twisting and tearing they get on the trails. So Alcan could be the answer here. And if you go for them keep us informed us about they do on duty on the trails. /Sten
80 Dodge Ramcharger SE 318 modified
99 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train customized
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
05 Chrysler 300C 3,5