>
Shared Top Border

Shared Left Border
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 04:13:07 PM

+  Offroad Exchange - MOD
|-+  Dodge 4x4's
| |-+  '72-'93 Dodge Full-Size 4x4's
| | |-+  HD Mud Flaps
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: HD Mud Flaps  ( 3964 )
dodgelifer

: 8

« : January 02, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »

Hello..long time since my last post.  Last time I rec'd a lot of good responses on steering shaft replacements....so here goes nothing:

I have a '84 W250 Power Ram.  I run 35 x 14.5 x 16.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HPs on a 4-inch lift.  Great tires for sand over the years, but I'm scratching up my paint job driving on dirt roads around home.  I'm thinking to run these tires one last season.  But before I do, I want to find some nice mud flaps.

Need flaps that are reasonably priced, durable, yet not too redneck if ya know what I mean.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thx & Happy New Year to All!!
Dano from Michigan
hilton8r
You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
Global Moderator

: Male
: 2029

Pentastar Power!

« #1 : January 03, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »

Ha,

My mudflaps are totally redneck, but I didn't have a choice. trying to get signed off on a fix it ticket a year ago. I originally ordered some from Summit, but they sent me the wrong part number. After I got that problem fixed, I found out that I couldn't use them because they didn't mount far enough back to clear my tires. So, I bought a set of rocktamer mudflaps that mount to the hitch/receiver and pretty much hang down from the bumper. I've gotten used to them. I paid $184 shipped for the non-chromed ones from carparts.com (53CP2862 is the part number). They were the cheapest I found.

In hindsite, I wish I had somebody help modify or fabricate a mounting bracket to relocate the ones I got from Summit. I'm running a smaller tire now, and wouldn't have to move it to far.

Have you trimmed your fenders? Does the furthest most rear side of your tire extend further back than the back of your wheel well?

John

2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...
dodgelifer

: 8

« #2 : January 03, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »

Thx.

I see the predicament.....and I'm sure my tires extend too far back as well (no fender trimming).  Thanks for the recommend & PN on the Rocktamers.  I'll check around and circle back if I see anything.

My bud wants to fabricate them from semi trailer flaps, but that's my concern about fashion.  He has a vested interest since I broke his windshield last year.
enafzige
Shadetree mechanic
Friend of ORE

: 62

Jer 33.3

« #3 : January 03, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »

I recently made a set for my '06 in preparation for the alaska trip.  I welded some 1 1/4" square 1/8" wall tubing to the truck, and slid some 1" inside.  I pinned it in several places with stainless shoulder bolts.  The mud flaps are industrial belting from a conveyer belt that is VERY tough.  I capped the top and bottom with some diamond plate aluminum and painted it black.

It's adjustable for different tire widths, needs, etc.  It's easy to replace the belting if it ever wears out as well.  And, they're definately strong!!!

--Eric

1987 Dodge 4x4 Legend Lime, NP435/NP205, Dana 60/70 with ARB air lockers, custom suspension in progress
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins 6-speed, 640 hp/1170 ft-lbs, Carli Suspension w/ Bistein 9100 RRs, 7100 stabilizers, and 4" bumps
KurtfromLaQuinta

: 297

My lugnuts require more torque than Hondas produce

« #4 : January 05, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »

I recently made a set for my '06 in preparation for the alaska trip.  I welded some 1 1/4" square 1/8" wall tubing to the truck, and slid some 1" inside.  I pinned it in several places with stainless shoulder bolts.  The mud flaps are industrial belting from a conveyer belt that is VERY tough.  I capped the top and bottom with some diamond plate aluminum and painted it black.

It's adjustable for different tire widths, needs, etc.  It's easy to replace the belting if it ever wears out as well.  And, they're definately strong!!!

--Eric
Dog Gone! Those things look factory! You should market those things.

500 c.i. Indy Aluminum  heads, Hughes 2832 Cam, Six-Pack, 727  (reverse-manual, low band apply, 5 clutch disc, 3 qt. xtra. pan), N.P. 205, Ford 9" rear ( 4:11, 31 spline axles, Detroit Locker,disc brakes). Dana 44 front (the weak link) (converted/ disc, 4:10, Tru-Trac limited slip). Gear Vendors OD.
hilton8r
You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
Global Moderator

: 2029

Pentastar Power!

« #5 : January 05, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »

I'll be your first customer Eric. My mudflaps are flush with the top of the bumper, and hang down. I like how your's are tucked up under the bumper. Can't tell how close the exhaust is though. Only possible issue I see. Now you just need to come up with a cool name for them!

John

2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...
: [1]  
« previous next »
: