Author Topic: Carter thermoquad rebio;d  (Read 2583 times)

Offline chard

Carter thermoquad rebio;d
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
I've rebuilt Carter Thermoquad on my '80 Ramcharger-360 about three times now since I've had the vehicle.  This most recent rebuild, however, has not been successful. The symptom is the vehicle starts and runs OK but when I stop it and then try to immediately restart it, it just cranks and does not fire.  After several days, I was able to restart it but the same thing occurred--it could not be started immediately after shutting off the vehicle.

I suspect the carb is flooding and something is not sealed right.  I saw your pictures and write-up at http://www.offroadexchange.com/tquad.htm and my guess is the seal at the bottom of the venturi tube pick-up.  During this rebuild, I had to buy a new phenolic float chamber so I had to move the rubber seals from the old broken/cracked unit on to the new one.  These seals are likely the original.  Strangely, I didn't get new ones with the rebuild kit. 

So, my question is whether I can replace those rubber seals with something generic like a modified rubber plumbing grommet.  Or, can I just order the correct seals without buying the entire rebuild kit (still not sure why mine didn't have these seals).  Also, could it be possible I might have to do some shimming (thicker seals) to get this new phenolic float chamber to snuggly fit with the existing venturi tube pick-up?

Your pictures and article were helpful--thanks.

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
  • I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!
Re: Carter thermoquad rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:42:53 AM »
Bingo! You are on the right track. Those seals let the whole fuel bowl drain down into the motor and flood it out. I've never seen a kit that did not have them and most have a couple of sets in case you have to stack them as you said. The new fuel bowl may also be taller than your old one and the venturi tube pick-ups are not reaching the bottom. I've mixed and matched bowls and tops before and run into this with early and late TQuads. Something seemed to change in this area of the carb at some point.

Not sure if plumbing pats would work in the carb. Gas is about as hard as you get on soft parts like this and with as much ethanol as they are putting in gasoline this days I don't think plain rubber would hold up very long. I've never seen these seals available separately before so I don't have a source to send you to for them. Like I said, all my kits have had them included so I've never had to look.

Good luck and if you find a source for the seals please let me know.

Bill Cooke

Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!

Offline chard

Re: Carter thermoquad rebio;d
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »
I bought that rebuild kit a couple years ago and it just sat on the garage shelf since then.  I didn't bother to do a parts check.

I'll just bend over and buy a new kit so that I can get the right venturi seals-- it'll probably be cheaper in terms of my time rather then trying some kludge. 

Thanks for your comments and I'll post again after I put in the new seals.
Rich