We have upgraded the HELL out of this site. If you have any problems or find any errors let us know. Please update any bookmarks to match the new pages. Thanks and Enjoy!

Author Topic: 727 torqueflight fluid questions  (Read 2316 times)

Offline 1975RC

• Friend of ORE
727 torqueflight fluid questions
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
Everyone I talk to has a different trans oil they recommend...

Dexron III: originally used
Type F: used for stiffer shifts
Dextron V & VI: OK to use but might leak more due to synthetic
Dex/Merc: Ok to use

What do you think?

Scott
1975RC

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
  • I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!
Re: 727 torqueflight fluid questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
I like the Dex VI syn stuff. It takes a pounding and keeps on going. Not too expensive either so that's nice. I do have some seep from everything with it in it. Guess that's why.

Dexron II was the old school stuff way back when. That was when Dexron and Mercon were still separate types.

Dex/Merc is the same as Dex III I thought. That was when they merged Ford automatics in with the rest of us. What that mid/late 80's or early 90's?

I was told a long time ago never to use Type F in a GM trans but not sure with a Mopar.

To be honest I never really looked into the differences between fluids. Anyone else have some insight on this?

Bill Cooke
Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!

Offline Sten

Re: 727 torqueflight fluid questions
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »
It's along time since I was looking in those differences in automatic oil. The Ford F type had more additives in to act  like it was more dry and the clutches engaged faster (cheap shift kit) and as an thumb rule was never put in another vehicle like GM or Mopar , it could be done and have Heard that it worked out sometimes. The worst you could do back then to use Dexron in a Ford and the tranny started to slip.  But I doesn't know how they act in the tranny but I'll stay on the safe side with Dexron. /Sten
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:28:11 AM by Sten »
80 Dodge Ramcharger SE 318 modified
99 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train customized
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
05 Chrysler 300C 3,5