Author Topic: 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390... (Hiltman's)  (Read 74536 times)

Offline hilton8r

• You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
  • Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390... (Hiltman's)
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:51:58 PM »
I received a call from Hughes Engines today. They are shipping my intake manifold today. 8) I will drop the motor in this weekend. I will update my progress in this thread to ultimately address the fuel management concerns that are looming... ??? Wish me luck.

Edit: Changed topic subject.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:39:20 AM by hiltman »
2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
Re: 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390... (Hiltman's)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:37:35 AM »
Ok, I lied. I made that last post over a year ago. But the good news is that Bill and I dropped the motor into the ZJ today. The headers are also installed. I won't know what fuel management issues (if any) will be present until I get it fired. I might need to find a High Performance ECU out of a '94 Dodge pick up. Dodge isn't selling them anymore... Does anybody have one lying around they want to sell? It won't be long now... ;D

My Dad sent me a picture of the ZJ soon after he bought it new. I wonder where those ski racks went? :dontknow:

The ZJ broke down somewhere around Victorville. The shop was unable to fix the ZJ after a few months, so the ZJ was going to be sent to a Jeep dealer. Miraculously, the ZJ was suddenly fixed! 8) Unfortunately, the ZJ was stolen that evening. :o Amazing that it was the ONLY vehicle taken, or tampered with. ::) Certainly fishy, but my Dad settled with the insurance company, and life continued...

Fast forward several months, and the ZJ was recovered in a garage somewhere in San Bernadino. There is no doubt in my mind, that the shop arranged for the theft to cover the cost of all of the ECU's they surely fried while they were fixing the ZJ. All doubt was removed after the ZJ was put together, with the same problem that left my step-monster stranded in Victorville. The shop had taken the ZJ to another shop to have the transmission rebuilt. The "other" shop was not willing to go on record stating that the ZJ was driven to/from their shop when the work was performed, as reported to the Police by the original shop. They said the Jeep would shut off after a few seconds. I wonder how the ZJ was driven off the lot when it was stolen... Enough about that. :angry4:

I bought the Jeep from the Insurance company as a theft recovery (Salvage Title). I'm not going to list prices for purchase of the vehicle, or any vehicle related charges ever since. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW! :o The ZJ was pretty much stripped, but most of the parts were recovered with the vehicle. I wonder if the ski racks were recovered! I borrowed the stock rims/tires off of Bill's '95 ZJ, and purchased a rear window from the junkyard. Everything else for the most part was piled inside. The motor was intact, but wouldn't survive very long. I didn't mind the Salvage Title knowing that the vehicle han never been wrecked, but I also knew that it wasn't maintained as well as it should have been. Recall that the vehicle doen't run at this point. Of course I made a bet with my Boss that I would have the Jeep driving by Halloween... plenty of time! :P

This is a picture of the ZJ the day I picked it up from the junk yard. It's the same Jeep, with the ski racks! Maybe I ditched them because the key was lost in the shuffle. The funny thing is that this probably explains one of the extra keys I have lying around, but have no clue what it goes to! I no longer have the '99 WJ used to bring my baby home. I can't believe I used to be that skinny!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:10:29 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:52:22 AM »
I've been looking for ECU's on the world wide web. No luck so far. Nothing on ebay. Otherwise, I need to keep plugging away on the small stuff. Installing a new wiring harness is next. I'm looking at front winch bumpers too. So far, I've looked at ARB, Road Armor, Trail Ready, and a few others like Hanson Enterprises or someting like that. I want something much stronger than ARB. I'm curious about what bumper Ryman has and will send him a PM. Let me know if you have any good suggestions.
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 04:21:12 AM »
Buttoned up a few of the smaller tasks today. Installed the radiator (new), Tranny cooler, A/C cooler, fan shroud (new), clutch fan, serpentine belt, alternator, A/C pump/compressor, starter, Y-pipe, front grill, and hood. Connected the fuel lines and the head lights. She actually looks like a real truck now. One side of the Y-pipe was slightly oval instead of round, but it pounded out rather nicely. One of the washers was missing too... Thanks Eddlebrock!  :P And why can't 'they' include the rubber grommets that sandwich between the truck and the radiator? :P The pressurizing valve on the AC compressor hits the new Magnum valve cover. :P I still need to install the wiring harness, O2 sensor, cool air intake, battery, oil filter, and top off all of the fluids before I can try to fire her up. Hopefully soon, because my Weapons Carrier has worn out it's welcome in my Dad's garage and I need to play musical cars!

The best part of the day was when Bill fixed my 3/8" drive Craftsmen socket wrench. No more bloody knuckles! ;D
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 12:46:31 AM »
I'm still not quite sure if I'm having fun yet! It didn't take too long before I encountered the first problem of the day. I bought a new wiring harness over a year ago. I pulled it out of the bag and found that the Dealer sold me the harness that hooks into the ABS/brake system controller. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with the dealer to just locate the correct part number... No luck so far. It's probably for the best since I'm still not sure what computer I'll be using. I was told to contact SoCal Diablo, but haven't heard back in a week.

So, I installed the upper radiator hose, spark plugs, oil filter, and started the cool air intake. That got put on the backburner since I can't find the throttle body/bonnet clip. I removed the front plastic/styrofoam bumper since I'm replacing it with a winch bumper very soon. After that, I added 5 quarts of Penzoil 10W-30 and decided it wise to clean up the garage a bit.

To be continued tomorrow... I'll trim and install the lower radiator hose, O2 sensor, spark plug wires, cool air intake.
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 06:33:08 PM »
I've been spinning my wheels for awhile now. I had pretty much talked myself out of fixing the original stock engine harness. I was lead to believe that DFI was my only option and didn't want to invest any time or money into the engine harness if it wasn't going to work. Not to mention the fact that I can't even locate the hi performance 5.9L ECU that Hughes suggested. I can't believe that Chrysler has discontinued the 1994 ZJ engine harness. It sold for $900 at the time it was discontinued, and that much I do believe.. :P

Bill suggested that the stock 5.2L ECU is worth a shot since everything has been increased in relative proportion... (fuel injectors, cam, and air). We'll see if the timing curve is an issue. I'll probably need to upgrade the stock fuel pump though. I've also had Bill's theory confirmed by another source, so I'll cross my fingers and go for it. At least I'll have a base line for comparison if she fires. There is not much more to do to get the wirning harness buttoned up and installed. Bill helped me go through my harness and identify the problem terminations to be repaired. It was not nearly as bad as we expected. I will purchase these items this week and hopefully get this beast fired this weekend. I wish I had ODBII :P Wish me luck!
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 03:02:00 AM »
Wow! I guess I'm not moving along too well since I haven't physically worked on the ZJ in just over a year. :P Well that changed today. Bill and I spent a very long day tying up loose ends. I just got home. I spent some time afterwards organizing the single car garage where the ZJ is stored. A lot of stuff has been tossed in there over the last year... and it's a real pain working around everything!

I must have gotten optimistic today since I bought a yellow top Optima battery. 8) It was awesome to roll the power windows up/down again. I will remember to install the crankshaft position sensor before dropping the motor in next time. :P I will also remember to install the lower radiator hose before installing the fan/shroud! :P We temporarily lost one of the crankshaft position sensor bolts and thought it must have fallen down into the bell housing (it did not). This turned out to be a good thing because I realized that I had not put a nut on the stud that holds the starter motor in while looking for the bolt. I guess there is a little positive in everything. The wiring harness is finally installed. It's been band-aid'd up as best as I can manage. I cut the exhaust just before the cat awhile back, so I had to remove the old piece of pipe from the cat and it didn't want to come out. Finally got it licked and now it won't sound like a chopper. I added coolant/water to the radiator. I added 5 quarts of oil after Bill removed the spark plugs and shot some oil into the spark plug holes. Bill figured out all the smog/vacuum stuff. Of course, I had just filled the tank with gas before the motor blew. :P We were joking that it was a great investment to buy all of that gas back then since it's appreciated in value so much. ;D

It's a good thing Bill has a FSM and a '95 ZJ parked in his garage. The details get real fuzzy over the years, and references are really helpful. Not to mention Bill has done his fair share of wrenching on his ZJ. Our persistence finally paid off, but not without a battle. Unfortunately, we were not able to fire her up tonight. We will need to do some trouble shooting to see where the failure is. The fuel pump and starter motor aren't getting power from the computer. We did not spend any more diagnostic time after this discovery. This didn't really surprise us considering how long it's been sitting. Hopefully it's something as simple as a dirty electrical connection. At least all of the hard physical labor is done. Thanks Bill! I truly appreciate all of your help today. I'm sure I've left out several things... but I'm beat. Bed time! ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:15:37 PM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:42:20 AM »
Another long day!

Bill quickly tracked down an area of concern with the electrical system. We thought it was too good to be true. One of the bulkhead connectors was not sunk in deep enough for a connection. We were optimistic that she would start as soon as we dealt with the issue of old fuel.

As fate would have it... I had just filled the gas tank when the motor blew. Bill tricked the fuel pump by grounding position 51 on the ECU if I remember correctly. The computer doesn't power the fuel pump without engine response otherwise. This saved me the gruesome task of dropping the tank since Bill had 5 empty gas cans and 8"'s of fuel line. 8)  We were able to calculate the fuel pump flow capacity and determined that it should be in line with the increased demand of the 390. One good thing about spending so much time under the Jeep is not getting a sun burn! ;D Then we poured in 5 gallons of fresh high octane fuel and crossed our fingers. Nothing! :P

Bill has a remote starter switch, and we were able to get her to fire up. However, she was blowing a lot more smoke than expected as well as a bad case of valve lash. The neutral safety switch is probably not working correctly and preventing the ignition from triggering the starter. We will either bypass the neutral safety switch or splice the one in from Bill's '87 RC. I can't believe how hard it is to find those suckers after market/dealer. I drove her about 4 feet and killed the motor! :o I was stoked, and thought we may actually wrap up early!

Bill checked for oil through the passenger side valve cover fill hole and found that it was as dry as a bone. Bill was concerned that the person who built my engine neglected to install the oil galley plugs. And that meant that we would have to pull the motor to resolve this issue.  >:( We pulled the valve cover to inspect further. All of the lifters had oil except for two. One of the bolts was defective! I couldn't believe it. They did not drill the bolt, so oil was unable to pass through it. And I am so thankful that Bill caught this, otherwise I would be in a world of hurt later on down the road. What are the odds of getting a defective bolt and that it was installed in a position viewable through the fill hole. That just further proves how bad my luck is. Although, things always do seem to work out eventually. So, I guess that the good news is that we don't need to pull the motor just yet...

I will call Hughes and ask them to make good on the defective part since Bill was unable to put a dent in it after an hour on the drill press. If Hughes does not make good, then I will drop it off at a machine shop. And that will be a good opportunity to get the driver side valve cover modified to allow room for the A/C fill port. Awesome design/engineering there... :P

We accomplished an awful lot this weekend, but the saga still continues! ;D I can't thank Bill enough for his help. He has an amazing ability of troubleshooting and a vast knowledge of everything Mopar! Thanks Bill!
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 05:33:01 PM »
I've been sourcing parts over the last two weeks. I have a rocker stud in hand that will work perfectly. There is a slight difference in the thickness at the top of the cup, but the lifter seats into the cup exactly the same depth as the others do. It's the best I can do, other than trying to find a machine shop that can drill the defective rocker stud. Hughes no longer sells the rocker sets, so I called Dove Performance who initially sold the rocker sets to Hughes. Dove Performance does not really deal much with Mopar, so it was sort of a shot in the dark trying to figure out if they had what I needed. I was a little irritated that I had to purchase the $4 rocker stud and pay for shipping, but I got over it pretty quick. Like I said before... I'm stoked that I don't have to pull the motor to install the oil galley plug and I'm even more stoked that this problem was discovered before I had much worse issues to contend with later on down the road.

I was able to find a throttle cable that will work with my throttle body. I bought one from a '00 Dodge Dakota I believe (part #53031556AB).

The last piece of the puzzle is the valve cover that I'm having modified to allow the A/C system to be recharged since there is a clearance issue at this time. I'm optimistic that I'll have the valve cover back early next week. I should be able to get everything wrapped up this weekend, but will have to wait a bit longer to take the test drive! 8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:44:29 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 12:07:51 AM »
Wow... what a day!

We reinstalled the rocker stud, adjusted all of the lifters, and bolted on the passenger side valve cover, but will have to wait for the modification to be done to the driver side valve cover so I can install it, fire it, and take her for a spin.

I fully expected the problem with the ignition not engaging the starter to be the real pain today. That turned out to be a very simple fix. We were confident that the Neutral Safety Switch was the root of the problem. We quickly tested it by grounding it to the frame... I figured we would have to cut the switch and splice the one from Bill's '87 Dodge RC in it's place. Instead, a little brake cleaner sprayed into the connector solved the problem.

The $65 throttle cable that Hughes told me to get did NOT work >:(, so Bill modified my gas pedal to accommodate the throttle cable. It turned out awesome. Maybe Bill can post a picture of the final product all welded up and painted.

The next problem to contend with was the steering box. I don't think anything on my truck would get done if Bill didn't have such a huge inventory of nuts/bolts/steel/etc... It took some digging, but we finally found a 4" 7/16 bolt for the bolt that actually threads into the steering box. The other two bolts were previously drilled through for a bolt/nut. One of the bolts that we pulled out was severely bent at the end. Not a surprise since the steering box has been lose for who knows how long.

I will really have to do my homework before going with Hughes in the future. I was told that everything was easy schmezey, but it's been everything but that. The cool air intake that Hughes sold me will NOT work in my truck >:(. Of course, I gave my brother the K&N air filter from my ZJ thinking I would not need it again and that truck has since been sold! ::)

I made the mistake of thinking it was going to be an short day. I won't do that again! >:D

I stopped by Autozone on the way home to pick up a cheap air filter and some air hose to address a few vacuum line issues.

I still need to drain some of the oil because Bill poured in 5 courts several months back and I poured in 5 courts more before realizing it. I've added checking oil level to the list of stuff to do if I ever do this again! ;D We were lucky since it never got over 89 degrees today! :P  I hope that the next post includes a picture of the ZJ out on the street! 8)
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »
I'm getting close on the valve cover mod! The incision has been made. I need to test fit it tonight to verify the accuracy of the cut. I have to remember to get before/during/after pics for this mod... 8) I will also stop by the local Jeep dealer in the morning to look at the connector used to charge the A/C system to be sure I have accounted for enough clearance! Other than that, I was told I should be able to find krinkle paint at the Home Depot. O0

I used the shiny gold fitting as a gauge for the cut. I'm not even sure what it's meant for, but it did the trick. Here are pictures compared to the A/C charging connectors.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:19:52 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:59:13 AM »
We were spot on as far as the angle of the cut, however the cut was too high on the vavle cover. I think it will actually look cleaner this way, and provide better access.

I wasn't sure if I had a memory card with the camera... I did not. So I will swing by in the morning to snap another picture for reference.
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »
The vavle cover did not get finished yesterday... but it's very close to completion. I'll get it Monday afternoon barring any surprises. The baffle post closest to the side wall had to be removed to provide clearance for the welder head in order to seal the bottom side of the plate. I'll take Tuesday off from work, so not much longer! 8)
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »
I have the valve cover in my hand. I've snapped a few pics too. I have some minor finish up to perform (JB Weld and high temp BBQ paint) for aesthetics. I just got the day off tomorrow, so wish me luck! O0

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:54:10 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 03:24:36 AM »
The valve cover really turned out nice. I wanted to buy some wrinkle paint, but it's not sold in Komifornia from what I can tell (probably due to VOC restrictions). But the hi-temp engine/header paint I used doesn't look too bad. It will be fine until I can get out of state to buy some wrinkle paint... or forever more likely if I never get around to it! ;D

Today (yesterday at this late hour) was a glorious day. The ZJ made a couple short maiden voyages around the block. It runs great. There will still be small issues to contend with, but the big hurdle has been cleared.

It's been difficult to get a good oil level reading. Either the dipstick tube is filled with oil, or the rail was removed from inside the pan. Not sure at this time, but we know for a fact that it's got 5 quarts in it. We were afraid we had 10 quarts! We (Bill) ;D fixed all of the vacuum leaks etc... The damn truck didn't want to start right up, and it appeared that there was an issue with either the ignition or a fried coil. Turned out to be a bad connection/corrosion to the coil.

Of course, I'll be crossing fingers/toes/eyes/legs/ and whatever else I can cross when I take it in for smog. But first, I need to get some miles on the Jeep as well as finish the exhaust from the cat back... I will also take it in to have the A/C system charged now that the valve cover has been clearanced.

I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight! I'm too happy! Thanks for everything Bill. I was truly in over my head on this one! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:26:48 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Jedrattle

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:15 PM »
 Cool!!!
way too many and not enough $$$

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
Thanks Jed!

Well, getting a moving permit is not as simple as it used to be. AAA told me they could only issue a permit for one day. They could then issue a 60 day permit if the car fails a smog test. So, they recommended I go to the DMV to see if I could plead my case. So off to the DMV I went. I didn't even get past the information booth because they required proof of insurance! I had already talked to my insurance agent, so that's already in the works. And I didn't even expect for the permit to be valid until next week. So, I will keep chippin' away at making this a daily driver.

I'm going to order up the exhaust system from either Summit or Jegs. Bill already purchased a kick butt system for his ZJ, so I'll go the same route.
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 10:47:47 PM »
Summit Claus visited me today. The exhaust is here, as well as some wrinkle paint for the valve cover. I now have the insurance lined up. Now I have to decide if it's worth stopping by the DMV to see if I can get an extended moving permit. I tried to make an appointment, but Laguna Hills doesn't have any, and Costa Mesa doesn't have any until 2nd week of September.

I'm seriously considering to just start driving and plead my case with the officer if I get pulled over. Maybe I'm a big sissy... I'm going to attempt the DMV tomorrow. I'm dreading tomorrow already! :P
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »
I got a one day permit for today (816). I took Bill for a little spin before heading home. Drove to Valero to get some gas. Got a half a block down the road and she died! :P We've had a lot of trouble with the ignition coil in the past, and I happened to have the stock one in the console. Swapped it out and she fired up. I'm glad Bill suggested I keep that spare  in the truck with me some time ago! 8)

We will need to tweek the throttle cable a bit more because it's not shifting right. I've only got 10 miles or so on it at this point. I don't think I could take it on the freeway yet because of the throttle cable.

We'll probably install the exhaust tomorrow.

I took a few pics of the Jeep today! Unfortunately, I didn't get them posted until 01/22/2011! :P Fortunately, I can go back in time...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:35:37 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 02:45:20 AM »
I lost steering last night! That was exciting! I used zip ties to limp it over to a friends house. Then I used a nail as a cotter pin to limp it back home.

Needless to say, the exhaust didn't go in today. I pulled the plug to see if there were any signs of a lean/rich condition. Plugs looked fine. I will probably need to adjust the lifters on the passenger side.

I hope there aren't to many other surprises waiting to surface! ;D

We are hopeful that the 3" exhaust helps the motor breath better. Otherwise, the motor may be starving for fuel when accelerating. A bunch of little things right now.
1943 Dodge WC51...