We have upgraded the HELL out of this site. If you have any problems or find any errors let us know. Please update any bookmarks to match the new pages. Thanks and Enjoy!

Author Topic: 1943 Dodge weapons carrier...  (Read 46989 times)

Offline hilton8r

• You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
  • Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
1943 Dodge weapons carrier...
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »
I'm really screwed if the difficulty I've had with just the rims and tires is any indication of what I'm in store for in the future. I'm stoked because I have successfully removed all four tires/rims from the vehicle. I have successfully removed the tire and the tube and separated the break away rims for two of the four tires/rims. I've only got two more to go and I'm at happy that I now know it's doable. I tried everything I could think of getting the two pieces of the break away rim separated and then the tire seperated from the rim on both sides. I took a sawzall to the tire and cut it in half like a bagel. I section and quarted it. I used a sledge hammer. I used several pry bars all the way up to a six footer. I even used a pick. I tried water and various other chemicals. I took it in to a tire shop and they couldn't do anyting with it. That's when I got really worried. By the way, I've never even seen such a rim. It took awhile to figure out how it worked. Theoretically, you can change the tire and tube without having to take the rim off the vehicle. I suppose that would probably work had this thing not sat out in the snow and rain for about 40 years. Long story short, I had just about given up. I'd like to thank Bill for suggesting that I use the most useful tool I own. A 2x4... Can you believe it. It was still a pain because I couldn't treak the bead lock while the tire was intact. So I had to break the bead lock on each side after I cut the tire in half and busted the rim loose with a big effen hammer. I placed the 2x4 at the edge of the rim with the tire lying flat on the ground. I drove my dually up and down the wooden ramp rotating the tire a quarter turn each time until it finally busted loose. I doubled up two 3' 2x4's to avoid snapping the boards. It sucked having to do it twice for each half of the rim, but I really want to reuse these rims, so I'm sure it will be worth all of the effort in the end.

Thanks again for the advice Bill. It's still a time consuming task, but I'd much rather let the truck do the hard work. I can't begin to tell you the how much time and frustration you have helped me to avoid.
2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
Re: 1943 Dodge weapons carrier...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 11:26:20 PM »
Here is a link for the only 'correct' replacement tires that I could find.

http://www.cokertire.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17517&cat=&page=1

I won't be forking out $800 + ? for shipping and tubes any time soon, but really need to get this thing to a point where it can roll. Tubes are not currently available through Coker tire, so I'll keep looking. I'm curious how wide of a tire I could temporarily put on the rim using a tube being that the stockers were 9" thin tires. I have a bunch of 15" diameter tires, but I'll need 16" diameter tires for these rims. Bill suggested 38.5 x 11 x 16 Swamper Boggers and that's what I will put on it when I get the money. I can't remember if the 8 lug crap stock tires on the 3/4 ton axles I bought are 16" diameter. ??? I'll check tomorrow.

Next on the list will be to chop the home made top and remove the bed.

********** Edited to add another link that I came across for OEM non directional military tires... I'm glad to see that there are other less expensive options. Also, the problem is solved for being able to move it around the garage because Bill got me some bitchin car dollies for my birthday... 8) Thanks Bill... ;D

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/products/wheels-hubs-drums/tires.htm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 01:31:23 AM by hiltman »
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Kevin

• Friend of ORE
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »
hey any pictures of the project your working on? Be intresting to see it in the progress. keep us updated

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 03:21:21 AM »
Yeah. I kicked myself in the butt for not having my camera battery charged. It is on the charger right now. I can't resize the picture I have, so I'll mess with it later. See ya,

John
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »
I made decent progress last weekend and this weekend.

Last weekend, I chopped the homemade top. She's a convertible again. I worked on tire number 3 of 4... What a pain. I broke off three of the outer ring studs (consecutive) and they seem to be holding the ring to the rim... I've been pounding on it with a 4 pound hammer and a sledge hammer. I finally gave up on it because I screwed up and cut the sidewall out before I broke the bead... I don't know how I'm going to resolve that, but I've been drenching the three broken studs with WD-40 and will have to purchase a larger punch.

This weekend, I completed tire number 4 of 4. I then proceeded to clean up one rim and one drum with the wire wheel.

I know this doesn't seem like much progress, but I'm only working one long day on the weekend and it took a lot of time to clean all of the crap out of it that I was storing. I've been taking a few pictures, but I don't really have a place to host them yet. I'm working on that.

I just noticed that the keyboard keys are turning black. I guess it's time for a shower...  ;D
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 03:46:24 AM »
Not much to report in May. I had the pleasure of passing a couple kidney stones over the weekend. What a way to spend my birthday. I'll be working on it this weekend and might have the picture hosting thing worked out by then.
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »
Have you ever had one of those long hard days where it took everything you could muster up just to kick the tools inside the garage and shut the door before calling it a day. I was beat last Saturday. Spent the whole next day in bed with aches/pains/chills/sweat. But not before I removed the passenger fender and cleaned up one more drum housing and rim with the wire wheel. I've already gone through one new braided wire wheel on the first two drum housings/rims, so I guess I'll need another new braided wire wheel for the last two drum housings/rims... Nothing has been easy... Bolts are breaking off right and left. Some of the bolts are not very easy to get to with a socket, wrench, sawzal, or grinder... Little by little though. Anyhow, I've found a place to temporarily park my pics. Just have to get it set up.
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
  • I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 12:32:43 AM »
You can park them here or on moparforever.com, just ask buddy! I'd be happy to host them.

I know the feeling, I love it when a plan comes together! I hate it when it doesn't >:(

Just think of it this way. That's a 60+ year old truck that thought it was finally retired after 30+ years in a field all alone. Now suddenly some punk comes along and tries to whip it back into shape and get it back on the road again. How would you feel? You're half it's age and it's this hard on you. Think how the truck feels? I'm just saying....... :o

BC
Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 02:03:45 AM »
Thanks Bill. I talked to my brother awhile back about temporarily hosting some of my pics until I get around to putting my own page together... Like that's going to happen any time soon. :P I just need to figure out a format of sorts... I'll hit you up next time I see you. Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure really what's got me so motivated. I guess I'd love for my Grandpa to be able to take her for out for one last spin... I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around longer than the rest of us...

I wonder if I can get this thing in the backyard without the fenders or bed... Doubtful, but close enough to measure... My dogs can guard my little treasure for me, or pee on it...  ;D

I wound up in the ER again today... I think my episode on Sunday is stemming from some other problem... I'll know more on that soon. Take it easy.
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline EarlKann

• Rattle Kann Kustoms
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 10:50:56 PM »
I wound up in the ER again today... I think my episode on Sunday is stemming from some other problem... I'll know more on that soon. Take it easy.

Damn dude, you OK?  Hope all is well.
Wanted: Set of 80's style gold mod/nugget wheels in good condition.

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 12:12:15 AM »
The major issue has been kidney stones. I just passed another one before lunch. That makes four in less than two weeks. I'm starting to gather quite a collection of them. Too bad they aren't worth anything. Who knows, maybe I'll ebay them some day. Anyhow, I've probably got a kidney infection as well, so I'm on antibiotics.

I guess that was wishful thinking that I caused all of that pain by working too hard on the ol' Dodge. :P Thanks for asking. I guess it's just a question of how many more I've got to pass. I promise I won't sit in your chairs. ;D
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 09:02:39 AM »
Don't go dieing on me man! Serioulsly! Let me know what I can do.

Maybe it was birthday cake that gotcha? Giess we'll find out next year.

You can always make a necklace out of the stones. If anything it's a nice conversation piece.  ::)

Hang in there.

Bill

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
Re: 1943 Dodge weapons carrier (WC-51)...
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 01:32:49 AM »
I worked on the W/C for a good chunk of the day on Monday. I finally got the fourth rim split apart from the ring. Busting the three consecutive ring studs made it extra difficult, but a 3 pound hammer can do wonders over a long enough period of time. All four rims are cleaned up, but I still need to clean up the four rings. One of the rings is still attached to the rubber from the tire. I have no clue how I'm going to solve that problem. Some parts of the rings appear to be very thin in some areas, but I think I can still use them safely. At least until I'm able to drive it. So the top is chopped, the fenders are removed, and the hood is removed. I've started to clean up as much dirt and gunk from the engine compartment. I've decided that I will attempt to get her fired up before going to the trouble of pulling the motor etc... I'll go through the fuel system and the electrical a bit. In the meantime, I'll pull the plugs and get some oil in there to loosen things up a bit. I'll see about adding some pics in the next couple of weeks.

Eventually, I'd love to do a lot more, but I'm going to have to learn an awful lot about body work...
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Kevin

• Friend of ORE
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 05:50:37 PM »
Hey, body work dont feel alone there, i have no clue about it either. Only way to learn is to hit the books!

kevin

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 08:05:18 PM »
Nah, learn by working on other peoples stuff. That way you don't have to live with your mistakes!  ::)

BTW, body work might be an understatment on this thing. Have you all seen these pictures? I just hope he paid by the pound for this thing. There are more holes than metal! At least it's lightweight, and not a Toyota.

http://www.moparforever.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=28&g2_itemId=36

BC

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines as you with using other people's stuff as the guinnea pig... But I would have a really hard time screwing this thing up more than it already is. I knew it was bad, but the more I dig into it, the worse it gets... I've lost track of how many feet of wire I've cut from this beast. I prefer the term well ventilated... ;D
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline EarlKann

• Rattle Kann Kustoms
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 11:54:10 PM »
Nah, learn by working on other peoples stuff. That way you don't have to live with your mistakes!  ::)

BTW, body work might be an understatment on this thing. Have you all seen these pictures? I just hope he paid by the pound for this thing. There are more holes than metal! At least it's lightweight, and not a Toyota.

http://www.moparforever.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=28&g2_itemId=36

BC

Oh crap dude!  What have you gotten yourself into?  I think I'd stick to the RamCharger, as I recall it is pretty clean. ;D
Wanted: Set of 80's style gold mod/nugget wheels in good condition.

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:23 AM »
I'm just trying to get this beast on good rubber and give an honest effort to get her fired up... After that, it will sit for a very long time. I usually don't realize what I've gotten myself into until it's too late. Did you ever see my post about filling up both tanks on the R/C only to find out one of the tanks was leaking... And I do mean leaking.... At least it happened before gas jumped up over $3 per gallon. I have to be honest, there was a bunch of stuff in the R/C that I have no clue where it goes or what it is... Seems like you had a lot of spare parts. I would imagine some of it was for your '83... ??? Electrical doodads and such... Lots of nuts and bolts... It is truly a bitchen truck, but I still need to give her a name... I was really surprised you left that big bag full of gold coins in the console. I'm going to Disney Land... ;D Actually, I did find a few bucks in spare change... ;D
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Sten

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 08:41:43 AM »
U have very cheap gas  ;D, Here it's 5,20 Euros per gallon  :( and that's even moore in USD  ???. Wish that it could be cheaper but have to pay if going to drive. Pay and be happy  ;D ;D ;D /Sten
80 Dodge Ramcharger SE 318 modified
99 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train customized
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
05 Chrysler 300C 3,5

Offline hilton8r

• Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 11:26:18 AM »
There you go Sten... I feel better already. I have to remember to see that the grass is not always greener on the other side in Finland. I'll bet that your smile is forced, not natural... ;D
1943 Dodge WC51...