>
Shared Top Border

Shared Left Border
This Could Be Your Ad. Click Here to find out more
Advertise on ORE
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:17:26 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Offroad Exchange - MOD
|-+  Ford 4x4's
| |-+  Newer Ford SUV's
| | |-+  2004 Ford Explorer Transmission
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2004 Ford Explorer Transmission  (Read 112640 times)
hsb

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 07:38:44 AM »

Im having the same issue with my 04, both going from drive to reverse and now going at slower speeds into 3rd gear, luckily it still has some extended warranty left on it. So I guess I need to get on the ball and call a dealership.
hsb
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »

I too have started seeing the same issue with both reverse and as of recent 3rd gear. I will be taking it into a shop here in the very near future, since I still have a few thousand miles left on my warranty.
hilton8r
You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »

You are fortunate to still have warranty left. And I don't think they will repair it with beefed up internals, so you may end up right back in the same place again before too long. Good luck... Tongue

2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...
hsb
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2009, 06:51:01 AM »

Im gonna have to call this week, only have a couple thousand miles left on the warranty. It will not be going back to where I bought it though, have had too many issues there.
mrock09

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

Its plain and simple, if you own a 2004 Ford Explorer, mines a XLT, get rid of it. Sell it, trade it, better yet total it. I bought mine with 76000 miles. It was my first and last $10k mistake. I have owned the vehicle for a little under two years and in that time it has required nearly $5000 in repairs. This includes a transmission and two fuel pumps. When you spend a pretty penny on a vehicle you expect that it last a while. Its starting to shift funny again so I have to try and sell it, but I fear I'm stuck with a vehicle which is sitting in the driveway and won't start. Ford.... never again.
hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »

Sorry to hear it. Could improve when Ford is no longer Ford... Tongue

1943 Dodge WC51...
hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 10:35:01 PM »

I just read that the Ford Exploder is the #1 clunker getting crushed. Hell yeah! thebirdman

1943 Dodge WC51...
Mrbillyd

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »

I bought my 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer, with 65 k miles in Aug 07.  I paid 75 dollars to transfer the OO's Extended Service Plan. The Grand daddy of them all. 10 year 100K mile plan with a 50 dollar co pay.  I now have 99.7k miles and I have spent about 300 in 50 dollar deductibles. The first one was at 70k miles the A/C compressor locked up sparks flying out of it. Major items yanked out and installed new parts 3800 paid by ESP. Grin
Then at 84K,  I got the infamous OD light blinking, transmission check light, hard shifting , slipping ect.  They change the valve Solenoids and other items.  Then last month, my new A/C compressor sh the bed again. The cost of this to my ESP was 4300 dollars.
Now as my ESP is about to expire, my Tranny OD light flashing, and Check tranny light.
and like Birdwhid says, I have all of the issues he mentions. My new Ford dealer tells me that the last fix they should have fixed the bore/Servo issue as there is a Service bulitin about this issue.  This was now mangled and caused shavings and all my bands to burn up.
They suggested a new remanufactured transmission.
The ESP prior approval people denied the 4000 dollar unit, and want them to make 3100 dollars worth of repairs to the unit.
My dealer tells me they would normally just replace it but because my car has 99700 miles the ESP people want to limit their cost. So, for an extra 800 dollars I get a new transmission, and ford keeps a life time customer (I have had 5 ford autos) The warrenty on the new unit is 100K miles. Instead this is my last Ford.
My Ford dealer tells me his work will cover items replaced for 12k miles/1 year.   I asked him, so you rebuild my transmission for 3100 dollars, and you don't stand behind the whole transmission. Nope, only if the failure can be linked to the parts replaced.  O'h that gives me comfort

The OOwner of this Explorer paid big$$$ for this Extended Service Plan. He never used it once, and transfered it to me when I bought it at 65K miles. In 2 years since I owned this POSht the ESP paid out about 14k$$$ in repairs.
So, Now I know I need to unload this POSHt within the next 6 months.  I know I don't want to buy the 4 A/C unit, and the 3rd tranny.

Bill

sounds like to me there is people here having several different problems and blaming them on the solenoids. there are other parts in this trans that are  working in making a smooth shift into reverse. ford had a recall for a silicone based additive to put in your trans actually the dealer would install it to keep the pressure control solenoid from being erratic . i have been working on these transmissions for 4 years and havent had reoccuring problems. there is several other issues that i have seen with this trans like the reverse shuttle ball becoming damaged from extended harsh shifts into reverse. when the solenoid pack is replaced it is a necessity to inspect all shuttle balls for damage and install this additive. there are some bands that were put in this family of trans that will cause a slipping 1-2 and 3-4 shift with an illuminated od light. also the bore on the 2nd and 4th servo which is the overdrive band servo can become damaged  and cause the servo to stick in the bore at times causing the shift to slip. the key to a good repair is a real transmission tech and not some 19 year old kid. this is a huge problem with ford motor company putting there lively hood and quality of there vehicles into the independently owned dealer that are run by people that have no clue of how a vehicle works operates or for that matter how a dealership should be ran...
hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:22 AM »

All I can say is wow...

I'm surprised they can continue to lose loyal customers in the manner you describe, especially in this economy.

They probably figure you'll trade it in on a new Ford (not really listening/caring what the Customer says). Wonder if they'll pay any more for their POS, than anybody else would. Would they actually pull up the service history to use in their decision?

I don't fault anybody for buying imports. GM and Ford keep telling us their cars are better. I haven't seen it. May the best car win... Can't say GM isn't asking for it!

1943 Dodge WC51...
LaTesha

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »

OMG!
Where do I begin? I purchased a 2004 Ford explorer in July 0f 2011, and traded in my 2001 Oldsmobile of 5 years. I also purchased the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. Before driving it off the lot I had the dealer fix the ABS system because the light was on. There is a crack going down the back of the trunk but nothing else was wrong at the time so I left the crack alone.
In April of 2012 I took it to the dealership for a belt, check trans, shocks, ball joints, and a ticking in the heater when knob was turned to heat (not cool). The dealer was very rude for 1 and tried to charge me almost $800. for items not on the warranty. I told him to just fix what was on the warranty and also give it a oil change. He informed me that the trans was fine and charged me for looking at it because nothing was wrong so my so called warranty still came out to almost $400. out of pocket expenses. After getting the car back  my heat went out and I was told by a mechanic Buddy that my breaks, rotters, emergency break pads and the back tires were shot. So I had him replaced them because this was also not covered on warranty. 
Just last week my RPM started jumping with miles over 65.(no lights were on at the time)So I took it to 6 different places getting estimates on what could be wrong. All shops said the same thing. "Start with fuel filter, oil filters and oil change". I was told if that does not work then something else is wrong but with no lights on it was hard to tell. I did all of what I was told. The day after I paid for all this the service engine light came on. I took the car to Auto Zone to get it checked. (EGR Valve code)
The man at Auto Zone told me to take it off and clean it with spray and let it dry before replacing. I took it to a shop and had them do this. The same day I picked up the car my service engine light came on again, O/d light and the car was driving like I was hauling a bus and jumping. I took it back the next day and he replaced the EGR valve new since the same code was showing up. Later that day after getting it back the car started doing the same thing after driving for 5 miles this was Friday 9/21/12. *I have now turned to the internet and I am MADDER THAN I WAS BEFORE LOOKING ON THE NET!!! OMG!!! *****
I still owe a car note on this car, I am a student working a part-time job and a single parent. I have no ideas what to do next. I refuse to put a trans in it and refuse to pay for it if I can not drive it. I am so upset that I bought a FORD. I would rather have a old beat up Chevy any day then buy a brand new Fix Or Repair Daily/ Found On Roadside Dead = FORD!!!!   
FORD!!! GET OFF YOUR A$$ AND HELP THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE MADE YOU RICH!!!!!!!!!
Bill Cooke
Administrator

I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »

So sorry to hear about your problems. There really needs to be some sort of class action lawsuit about these cars.

You might try writing or calling your congressperson believe it or not. They may know about something you can do or at least if they get enough calls may start asking some questions of their own. Ford can ignore the little guy but when Congressman So-and-so is on line 1 they tend to answer that call. What else is Washington good for these days?

Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!
jporter
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »

I have a 2004 Explorer that is experiencing the same transmission problems. I talked to a very good local transmission shop. They told me that the shift solenoids use an aluminum body that are subject to wear causing the shifting problems. When they rebuild one of these transmission they machine the solenoid bores and put in brass sleeves. They said they have never had one fail due to worn solenoid bores after making this modification. They did a complete rebuild this mod for $1900. This transmission shop is Advanced Transmissions in Mauldin SC. If anyone with this type of problem lives in the vicinity of upstate SC you might want to give them a try.
Bill Cooke
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »

Thanks for the advice. Finally somebody has some good news to report! Lets just hope Ford is listening

Bobbie R
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »

I bought my 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer, with 65 k miles in Aug 07.  I paid 75 dollars to transfer the OO's Extended Service Plan. The Grand daddy of them all. 10 year 100K mile plan with a 50 dollar co pay.  I now have 99.7k miles and I have spent about 300 in 50 dollar deductibles. The first one was at 70k miles the A/C compressor locked up sparks flying out of it. Major items yanked out and installed new parts 3800 paid by ESP. Grin
Then at 84K,  I got the infamous OD light blinking, transmission check light, hard shifting , slipping ect.  They change the valve Solenoids and other items.  Then last month, my new A/C compressor sh the bed again. The cost of this to my ESP was 4300 dollars.
Now as my ESP is about to expire, my Tranny OD light flashing, and Check tranny flashlights.
and like Birdwhid says, I have all of the issues he mentions. My new Ford dealer tells me that the last fix they should have fixed the bore/Servo issue as there is a Service bulitin about this issue.  This was now mangled and caused shavings and all my bands to burn up.
They suggested a new remanufactured transmission.
The ESP prior approval people denied the 4000 dollar unit, and want them to make 3100 dollars worth of repairs to the unit.
My dealer tells me they would normally just replace it but because my car has 99700 miles the ESP people want to limit their cost. So, for an extra 800 dollars I get a new transmission, and ford keeps a life time customer (I have had 5 ford autos) The warrenty on the new unit is 100K miles. Instead this is my last Ford.
My Ford dealer tells me his work will cover items replaced for 12k miles/1 year.   I asked him, so you rebuild my transmission for 3100 dollars, and you don't stand behind the whole transmission. Nope, only if the failure can be linked to the parts replaced.  O'h that gives me comfort

The OOwner of this Explorer paid big$$$ for this Extended Service Plan. He never used it once, and transfered it to me when I bought it at 65K miles. In 2 years since I owned this POSht the ESP paid out about 14k$$$ in repairs.
So, Now I know I need to unload this POSHt within the next 6 months.  I know I don't want to buy the 4 A/C unit, and the 3rd tranny.

Bill

sounds like to me there is people here having several different problems and blaming them on the solenoids. there are other parts in this trans that are  working in making a smooth shift into reverse. ford had a recall for a silicone based additive to put in your trans actually the dealer would install it to keep the pressure control solenoid from being erratic . i have been working on these transmissions for 4 years and havent had reoccuring problems. there is several other issues that i have seen with this trans like the reverse shuttle ball becoming damaged from extended harsh shifts into reverse. when the solenoid pack is replaced it is a necessity to inspect all shuttle balls for damage and install this additive. there are some bands that were put in this family of trans that will cause a slipping 1-2 and 3-4 shift with an illuminated od light. also the bore on the 2nd and 4th servo which is the overdrive band servo can become damaged  and cause the servo to stick in the bore at times causing the shift to slip. the key to a good repair is a real transmission tech and not some 19 year old kid. this is a huge problem with ford motor company putting there lively hood and quality of there vehicles into the independently owned dealer that are run by people that have no clue of how a vehicle works operates or for that matter how a dealership should be ran...

i bought it with the same price. hehe.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:21:49 PM by Bobbie R » Logged
Bill Cooke
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

It really makes me sad to hear that people are STILL fighting with this after all these years. You'd think Ford would figure out they screwed up on this and just make it right. It's not your fault they designed it wrong but they sure want you to pay for it....

Instead they have a million anger people telling their horror stories to all their friends and none of them will ever buy a Ford again.

IndyLynn

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »

Another complaint for MAJOR transmission problems for the Eddie Bauer Ford
Explorer 2004. Bought it NEW from Dimension Ford dealer in Fort Wayne.
Indiana. And like thousands & thousands of complaints I've seen on the
internet, Ford CO. will NOT help any with the repair cost or have a recall
on their transmissions. I was an "ABSOLUTE" loyal Ford customer until now
and will never purchase another Ford of any kind unless Ford themselves
resolve this issue! They are very difficult to approach and will never
help with any problem unless made to. Like many explorer owners at about
80,000 to 100,000 miles transmission started acting up. First was the
hesitation when putting into reverse. Then it started hesitating and
going bam and jumping back when shifting into reverse. Took in and had
looked at at different times and kept hearing it was normal or no problem
was just aging. And now reverse completely out at a little over 100,000
miles and just so happens warranty is out also. Have always wanted to buy
American and support my country and local companies, but this is a huge
problem for thousands & thousands of customers and they refuse to do
anything to help us, so why should we be loyal to Ford anymore.  Have
researched many transmissions lately and its sad to say that the foreign
car makers transmissions & over all entire vehicles are holding up much
better and longer than American made Fords. Alto of times getting well
over 200,000 miles with little or no problems. I was hoping all of us
with the same problems could get together and "attempt" to get Ford to
recall the transmissions or at least a goodwill offer for repairs as we
have been loyal. If not guess Toyota will be getting a lot of new loyal
customers and our own home Ford dealerships will be losing revenue from
many of us. We as "loyal" customers kept them going while most of the
others went down with Detroit. Sad, extremely sad that this is now the
"American" company we have been loyal to for so long.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length