Author Topic: My 80 RC project  (Read 114710 times)

Offline Sten

My 80 RC project
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »
Have started with something small now and are moving the gastank up and front to obtain some space in under the tank. Then I have to relocate the rearshocks  too at the same time and are going to do a U-bolt flip. I am a little curious about the spring rockers too but have to see what to do with them. Maybe I'll weld a pair for me and test how they act but that depend if I find the time to build them or not. I'm in no hurry so I'll take it easy and do some work when just feel for it. Here a pic of how the gastank  look like on my spare frame.

I have raised the tank 3 inches and about 5 inches forward. That's about all I can get with a 3 inch bodylift. I did a winchbed right behind the tank too but that ain't at the pic yet. It should fit just fine behind the tank and a homemade bumper of some sort. Have plenty of plans of different looks, but have to sort out a little what kind I should build.

Here you can see the my homebuilt enginestand in the other end and a temporary "turn stand" or what we call it. I just lifted the spare frame in and have easy to build different options for my RC on it and then move it to my RC. Searching for some spareparts too and was just a month ago on the biggest swapmeet of american car and truckparts here in Finland. There wasn't much for me but did find some minor parts I wanted. It  was the first year I went to the happening but don't think it would be the last.

/Sten
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 11:40:18 AM by Sten »
80 Dodge Ramcharger SE 318 modified
99 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train customized
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
93 Chevrolet Corsica 3,1 R.I.P.

Offline hilton8r

• You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
  • Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
Re: My 80 RC project
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »
It must be nice to have that much room to work on your truck... 8)
2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Sten

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:29:24 PM »
Yep! It's nice to have a place to work in. I built it a few years ago with electric floorheating (that's nice). But it should have been a little bigger, but it have to be enough like it is. I still have my farm even if I quit the animalkeeping there, so I'm working fulltime as metalworker now. Have bought some machines and looking for an bigger drill and metalmill for the moment. But I can always use the equipment at work  if want. Just wish I had a little more time to spend out here. We can't get everything so it have wait a bit. It do feels nice to get in the shop when it's freezing cold outside and even if I just have the temp about 40 degF. Have done enough repairs in freezing snowstorms so it's sooo nice now  ;D ;D ;D.
/Sten
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
  • I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 02:44:52 PM »
Looks good Sten. I like the way you work, no milk crates or blocks of wood for you. You do things right! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

BC
Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!

Offline Hasselholf

• Sorry, I just could not resist
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
That is a very nice looking engine stand.
It would not matter if the garage was twice that big, somehow you always end up saying "I wish I made it just a little bigger" after you start filling it up.
"Do what must be done. Do not hesitate, show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough"

See me on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/coastright

Offline Sten

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:37:35 AM »
That is a very nice looking engine stand.
It would not matter if the garage was twice that big, somehow you always end up saying "I wish I made it just a little bigger" after you start filling it up.

Tnx! I built it from junkparts so it didn't cost anything, and it's true what you say about the garage too. But I built an haybarn when I started as a farmer and that thing was built in mind so I easily can put in some isolation and set in a real door so I can have it heated also. Then I have enough room for many vehicles in under the roof. I do have barns all over this place so I don't be without a roof for anything. You see, I was an carpenter or housebuilder or what you call em over there, once. And even if I was an woodenworker I don't  like to pile woodblocks. I rather weld s real stand because I have tried those blocks too and seen what mess they can create. /Sten
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Sten

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 03:11:52 PM »
It took me a while before I had time for my RC. 

Here I welded on the winchbed at the rear of the tank if I decide to go for a rear end winch now or later.

This is a pic of the 10 000 lbs ABT winch I bought a while ago. Have to see if it come on in the front or in the rear. I also have an bigger alternator to put on instead of the old one, think it was an 140 Amp one. So with new wirings can it be quite nice  ;).

The new strap bolts as they go up with nuts on the upside. Don't know what's a better solution but now they looks like this.

Here is a pair of blocs for the tankelement to be bolted in in the front and with a hole for the gasolinetube.

This it look like when removed from the spareframe. I built it like a element so it can just be pushed in from the rear and bolted to the framerails after removed the old tankholder and crossmember at the rear. I also did a pair of new straps too. Now I just have to get a skidplate done in under the tank when my RC not had it from new, but with a aluminum sheet and the TIG welder at work is it a piece of cake when I feel for it. We'll wait and see  ;).

/Sten

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 12:13:32 PM by Sten »
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
I missed this post before. I like that work Sten! Very nice. Makes me want to go out and do this to mine now. I love the fact that you can take off the tank mount/winch tray like that. You're a genius!

Keep up the good work. Spring will be here soon!

BC

Offline Sten

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 03:00:39 PM »
I missed this post before. I like that work Sten! Very nice. Makes me want to go out and do this to mine now. I love the fact that you can take off the tank mount/winch tray like that. You're a genius!

Keep up the good work. Spring will be here soon!

BC

Tnx Bill! I have had a hard time at work for the moment so I haven't had much time for my RC but I got the tray sandblasted and painted a while ago. I also built a hydraulic shop press by use with an 10 ton hydraulic jack. Got it painted yesterday evening so I'll post some pics of the press for you guys too.
/Sten
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:30:03 PM by Sten »
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Moparcop

• dont ram it, POWER RAM it!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »
Wow, yeah it must be nice to have a place like that to work in! I cant wait to get a house with a nice big old garage .......and tools, lots of tools ;D
Nice work so far.

I need to get money saved up and start working on my grandpas truck. Anyone got a 6" step side bed?

AF :p)
Adam
01 2500 CTD Edge Comp

http://www.policepoems.com/TheMonument.htm

Offline Sten

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 11:22:37 AM »
Ok! Here are two pics of my new homebuilt 10 ton press. It do look much better painted than before. And I built it so it can take at least an 20, maybe a 30 ton hydraulic jack if needed. It is overkill but it take the same amount of time to build it to last then to cheat my self that it do hold up and then it break. It's five feet high to the jack and eight inch deep and the width inside is 24 inch if we use inches.

I gave it changeangeable presstips so I just can start my lathe and do the desired tip to get the specific job done.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 11:52:24 AM by Sten »
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Sten

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 03:57:39 AM »
Huuh... have been busy for awhile with my house, my wife finally have to get her will and I had to do some new floors and paint some walls and so on. And as usual one thing gave the other so it all just ran out of our hands but it's not so long before we get it all finished for this timeand I can take some time off with my RC again.
I finally found out why had so loud Dodge klonk when put the gear in. An U-joint was totally toasted, I had searched for something earlier but the bearings was tight and looked good. Now after I replaced the rear sealing in the TC I found out one of the bearigcups had a big movement in  it. Had the replacement part available so I took the old out and found out that the needlebearings had worked themself in an angle in the cup so it was why it was so tight when searched for some play. Have to learn something new every time  ;D ;D. I hav also started on a liftkit for the engine an the TC. As you know do I have a 3 inck bodylift on it and the TC hang way too low so I give it this kit now to get it up out of the way and at the same time build some armour inunder it. That's my plans now. /Sten
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Sten

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 01:07:40 PM »
Ok. Got the armour for the tank TIG welded today and it looks so good  (if I can say it my self). I did it from aluminium floor sheetmetal about 0,15 inch thick. It's taking time when don't have too much to spend on the old RC but are doing parts to put on when get better of time. I'll try to get some pics of the armour too and some other part I have done. Think I'm going to get a big and I mean BIG drillpress from work too. It should be quite good looking at the side in the garage  :D :D :D.

BC
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Sten

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »
OK, here I am again after I visited one big swapmeet here in Finland and I found a almost new 6 inch Skyjacker lift system with both front and rear leafpacks for an RC. Just had to buy that when my leaves are beyond rescue. They have to come on after a while but have to get some stuff to get the lift complete and here you guys come in and hopefully lead me in the right direction of what I have to buy to get a functional kit of it.
-I know I need longer brakeline in front, but how is it at rear.
-Then we have the steering, what do I need there. Should I convert to crossover or just get some stuff to keep it as is. 
-The front driveshaft are propably too short and fall out when wheeling, spacer like the superlift use or...and does the rear be OK.

I'm open for all kind of suggestions of you who have a lot more of experience of all kind of lift of Dodges. I may have to take the bodylift of it because our yearly carinspection as they don't like high vehicles at all so I'll see what to do with that at a later point. But first I just want to collect some information of you guys. Tnx!
/Sten
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline hilton8r

• You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
  • Global Moderator
  • Pentastar Power!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 08:12:27 PM »
You're gonna be stylin' Sten! 8) 8)

How restrictive is Finland with regards to tire size? Will you stay with 33's, or jump up to 35's or 37's? You're truck is too darn pretty to start hacking fenders. I would have removed my body lift, except that I needed to keep it, along with fender trimming to accomodate my 37" MTR's. I would certainly reduce your body lift down from 3" if not eliminate it all together depending on what tire size you ultimately want to end up with. I used a spacer for my front driveshaft. I'll catch you later,

John
2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...

Offline Sten

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
You're gonna be stylin' Sten! 8) 8)

How restrictive is Finland with regards to tire size? Will you stay with 33's, or jump up to 35's or 37's? You're truck is too darn pretty to start hacking fenders. I would have removed my body lift, except that I needed to keep it, along with fender trimming to accomodate my 37" MTR's. I would certainly reduce your body lift down from 3" if not eliminate it all together depending on what tire size you ultimately want to end up with. I used a spacer for my front driveshaft. I'll catch you later,

John

Arrrgghh....Finland and tiresize, hahaha... those 33s are the biggest I can go legally, but I think I'm putting those tires on an other set of rims so I can go up in size to 35.....37 something. But have to have the 33s for the yearly carinspection  ;). and then here are a ton of idiotic laws that we have to try to go around. As an example the totally max lift that we legally can go is 6 inches including the lift that come from bigger tires. But no one know for sure how high they was from beginning when it ain't written somewhere so it have to look  good and not too high.
And yes you're right, I have been thinking to go down from the 3 inch of bodylift to something smaller but have to see how that thing start looking. Then decide what to do. So you use a spacer for the front drive shaft, it's propably the cheapest solution for that issue. That is one of those things I can made my self in my shop when have an lathe in the corner.
The steering issue is one of my biggest issues to think about at what kind of setup I should go with, but perhaps I can get enough of tips of other Dodge men to get a nice picture of it.
/Sten
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »
For steering I would use a 4" drop pitman arm on the power steering box. Not the steering arm bolted to the axle. That should fix it right up. You will also want to use an adjustable drag link but I think you already have one of those.

Rear brake line is a must, front you can get away with the stock one. Just turn the top bracket to face down. Front driveshaft can use the spacer. Rear driveshaft may or may not work. Do those springs need to use the factory block to get the 6" of lift? If so you can do a shacfkle flip out back and lose the block. That will shift the axle forward enough to make it 99% sure you can reuse your rear driveshaft. New U bolts would be required for that too. Speaking of that, the front U blots and studs need to be longer. Those studs can be hard to get. They are 9/16" course thread in the axle housing and 9/16" fine thread on top. A 9/16" bolt can be used but that gets tricky if you have a wedge block under the springs for better pinion angle. You have to file the holes a little to make them fit with the bolt going through at an angle like that.

You will have to lose some bodylift with those springs to remain even some what legal there. Does that mess up the gas tank and such? I hope not. That looks way to nice to have to change it. Raise the floor of the bed maybe? That sounds like a lot of work.

Hope this helps

Bill

Offline Sten

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
For steering I would use a 4" drop pitman arm on the power steering box. Not the steering arm bolted to the axle. That should fix it right up. You will also want to use an adjustable drag link but I think you already have one of those.

Rear brake line is a must, front you can get away with the stock one. Just turn the top bracket to face down. Front driveshaft can use the spacer. Rear driveshaft may or may not work. Do those springs need to use the factory block to get the 6" of lift? If so you can do a shacfkle flip out back and lose the block. That will shift the axle forward enough to make it 99% sure you can reuse your rear driveshaft. New U bolts would be required for that too. Speaking of that, the front U blots and studs need to be longer. Those studs can be hard to get. They are 9/16" course thread in the axle housing and 9/16" fine thread on top. A 9/16" bolt can be used but that gets tricky if you have a wedge block under the springs for better pinion angle. You have to file the holes a little to make them fit with the bolt going through at an angle like that.

You will have to lose some bodylift with those springs to remain even some what legal there. Does that mess up the gas tank and such? I hope not. That looks way to nice to have to change it. Raise the floor of the bed maybe? That sounds like a lot of work.

Hope this helps

Bill

Sounds like I'll have to get a 4 inch pitman arm. How about the splines at it. Does all have the same splinenumber or are there different ones?
I got new U-bolts for a flip at rear with the lift and got longer Rancho shocks also.  The guy who sold this lift to me told that I can use the rear brake hose up front to get a longer there too. I have to see how I have to do with the bodylift later. Maybe I just do some rocksliders to get the look of to be lower than it is, but that's a later issue. And thanks for the input Bill.

/Sten
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7

Offline Bill Cooke

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »
All Dodge 4" drop pitman arms will fit your truck. Not sure about spline counts. They are not listed as they are all the same. It just matters if the shaft comes out the bottom of the box (like yours) or the side (like the 72-78 trucks).

The rear brake line will work up front. They are usually a little worse than the fronts as all the heat, oil and road debris have been kicking up on that line more than the fronts all these years. The later trucks (I know a 91 Dodge RC has it) have much longer rear brake lines stock. If you move the top and bottom tabs a little it could be made to work with that lift. Not sure that helps much. How easy is it to get stock replacement parts there?

Bill

Offline Sten

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 01:33:10 PM »
Hi again and greetings from Finland  :D.
When we talk stock replacement parts for our Dodges  and other Ami cars ain't Finland the worst place on earth to live on. But when we are going to some specific aftermarket parts can it be hard to find the right part. Then have to order from US direct, or buy used as I did when I was searching a "new" steeringshaft and EarlKann (Your Toy moderator) offered his used but in good shape one as I then bought of him. As I was sailing trough a sell forum here a short while ago did I find a new  Crane HI-6 ignitionbox very cheap, now I just need a coil and new wires when I have time with that. I'm a parts picking sob who buy when found and save until got time to put everything on. Crazy me but that's the way I have to go here when parts ain't for sell when need em.

When I mentioned that I could use a rear brakehose up in front did I mean a brand new one and my closest ami dealer is just 6 miles away, but he's slooowww to order.

Tnx Bill for your input!

btw I got the enormous big and heavy drill, must have an weight of 1600 lbs. in my shop now too  ;D ;D ;D so now can I drill almost any hole I just need.

01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7