>
Shared Top Border

Shared Left Border
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 04:17:03 PM

+  Offroad Exchange - MOD
|-+  Dodge 4x4's
| |-+  '72-'93 Dodge Full-Size 4x4's
| | |-+  GOING MONSTER REAR NEED SHACKLES
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: GOING MONSTER REAR NEED SHACKLES  ( 22339 )
hilton8r
You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
Global Moderator

: Male
: 2029

Pentastar Power!

« #20 : August 14, 2007, 11:08:37 PM »

Awesome Dave. 8) I removed a few of thos rivets and it made me wish I were 20 years younger!

2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...
Bill Cooke
Administrator

: 3314

I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!

« #21 : August 15, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »

Pics look great, Good job! I couldn't have built it better myself. As for using as many factory holes as possible, I guess my secret is out. I'm lazy and hate drilling holes in frames! (even more than removing rivots >:( ) The real upside is no measuring and no worries about alignment. That is a HUGE bonus! You can make a perfect part but if it's not installed right it might as well be junk.

I thrilled it turned out so well and you did a great job on them.

BC

Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!
Sten

: 559

« #22 : August 16, 2007, 10:51:56 AM »

...I'll post the height between the axle and the bottom of the frame for those of you interested in using stock 63" Chevy springs...

That's my plan too. If I just could find those springs around here. Nice job Clubbs, looks good.
/Sten

80 Dodge Ramcharger SE 318 modified
99 Harley Davidson FXSTB Night Train customized
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
93 Chevrolet Corsica 3,1 R.I.P.
Clubbs

: 200

« #23 : August 16, 2007, 08:43:08 PM »

I'll post up a dimension once it settles in, I figure this weekend I'll clean all the old engine parts out of the back and see how it sits,  I hope to get the tank back in this weekend too and get it fired up.  Once I get the tank in I'll take a measurement and post the dimension with a photo showing where I measured from.

Dave
Sten

« #24 : August 19, 2007, 03:20:54 AM »

I'll post up a dimension once it settles in, I figure this weekend I'll clean all the old engine parts out of the back and see how it sits,  I hope to get the tank back in this weekend too and get it fired up.  Once I get the tank in I'll take a measurement and post the dimension with a photo showing where I measured from.

Dave

I'll see forward for the pics and the measurements. Keep up the great work  8) 8).
/Sten

01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
Clubbs

« #25 : September 11, 2007, 08:45:24 PM »

I got everything back together, just been doing a little tinkering on the rest of the truck, but I plan on getting it tagged and inspected (hopefully) this week.

Sten, once I cleaned all the old 360 parts, wheels, spare tires, tools, ect, and had about 7gallons of fuel in the tank; the distance between the frame and the top of the chrysler 9.25 axle is 12-3/16".  This is measured FROM the bottom of the frame directly over the axle TO the top of the axle housing in a straight line: no angle, or tilt in the tape measure.  That puts the bump stop cone ~ 9" away from the  top of the spring plate. 

With all that junk out of the back and the winch back on front it actually sits pretty level, maybe a 1/2" low in the back, I'm going to wait and see what a full tank of fuel does to it before I buy a zero rate.  I have to finish makeing some heat shields for the catalytic converters because they actually melted the middle seat belt in the back that was touching the floor, and burned it off.  My oil sending unit is leaking pretty bad, and I still need to do a helicoil in the tranny.  My warn hubs maybe shot, and both axles seem to be leaking at more than one seal now that I've driven it around the yard some.  I need to turn the fork around in the CAD so it stays locked in, and my windshield wripers went shriek creek kerplunk so I need to fix the linkage before I go get it inspected.  I need two light bulbs before I'll try to get it inspected the first time as well.  I still have some fuel in the oil but I think that is when I was trying to run with the bad fuel pump so I need to change the oil again tommorow (at least all the oil galleries are washed clean...).  Both driveshafts are severly sloppy and the front shaft has a crack in the splines, u-joints are probably shot, but some fresh grease and alot of miles will tell me how I need to spend the next dime. 

I still have some tuning to do but I haven't let it run long enough for the O2's to heat up I think because the A/F meter always stays on the far rich mark even with the truck off.  Is this normal??  If I touch some of the bare crimps (temporary wiring until I figure out where I want to put the guage) the guage fluctuates all over the place so I think I'm changing resistance by touching the crimps and thus proving the guage works, but any advice is appreciated...

Dave
Sten

« #26 : September 25, 2007, 01:39:13 PM »

Tnx a lot for the measurement between the rear and the frame. That will help me to figure out how to get some similar suspension for my own RC too. Haven't found the springs yet but still searching and those Chevys should be found at some backyard if get lucky.

BC

01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
one4house
Friend of ORE

: 11

« #27 : April 03, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »

I am bumping this up so I have something to read that directly pertains to what I am doing. :)

Any pictures by chance?

Do you happen to remember the part number for the shackles you ordered?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G904000/

Are these the ones?
« : April 03, 2012, 10:35:42 PM one4house »
Bill Cooke
Administrator

: 3314

I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!

« #28 : April 04, 2012, 08:30:59 AM »

Those are the correct shackles

Bill Cooke

Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!
one4house
Friend of ORE

: 11

« #29 : April 04, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »

Those are the correct shackles

Bill Cooke

Nice. Thanks for letting me know.
enafzige
Shadetree mechanic
Friend of ORE

: 62

Jer 33.3

« #30 : May 09, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

You may want to plate them in as well for strength.  What rig are you working on?  Have you started a build thread?

--Eric

1987 Dodge 4x4 Legend Lime, NP435/NP205, Dana 60/70 with ARB air lockers, custom suspension in progress
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins 6-speed, 640 hp/1170 ft-lbs, Carli Suspension w/ Bistein 9100 RRs, 7100 stabilizers, and 4" bumps
Clubbs

« #31 : February 26, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »

one4house

I have some pics of the install somewhere but can takes pics and measurements for you now if you need anything.  I read your other post on keeping the height about the same.  I did mine with stock chevy 63's and took the factory block out and it was about 2-3" lift, and it rides amazing. 

Its been awhile since I was on here, sorry for the absence.  Not a whole lot has changed, kids still growing and all leaving little time for wrenching or wheeling.  Although little man is eager to hit the trails now so that's good.  Trouble is he only has about a 1 hour wrench time per week alotted. 

I traded my 05 cummins for my Dad's 05 cummins when he got a 13 cummins.  His 05 only had 48k on it so its worked out well.  I miss the long bed and 6 speed a bunch but it still hauls the gooseneck fine.  Has stock donuts on it so it doesn't look very impressive and probably won't wheel for beans either but it does have a t-case.

The ol RC is still kicking.  Its still lifted 6" with softrides up front and the monster rear out back.  It now has the 440 running nicely CUCV axles under it and 42 swampers on allied beadlocks.  Waiting on the doubler adapter still but I do have the 32spline 205 waiting.  Its a long shaft input that John Sumners said he can make me an adapter to work with.  Which is great because then my drive shafts should be the same length or close enough that I'll only need to carry one spare.  I still need to trim the fenders and hoping I don't have to put new wheel wells in the back.  I know Hazel eventually swapped in some bigger wheel wells but I don't know if it was required or just for fun.  My other concern I need yall's expertise is on the steering box interference.  Since I haven't trimmed the fenders yet I haven't flexed it out but its pretty evident that when stuffed and crossed up that those 42's are going to be munching the sector shaft pretty hard.  I'm planning the hydro assist setup, because I want to keep it street legal and its way cheaper than full hydro.  The box is in the 2wd position for the cross over steering geometry.  Anyone have any slick ideas or experience with running 42's on a flexy RC?

As always thanks in advance. 

Dave
Sten

« #32 : March 02, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »

With 42s and 6 inches you have to trim a lot for flex. I have 6 inch lift Softride leafs front and rear, and 3 inch body lift with only 36 inch TSLs and they will rub quite much when flex out. The worst part is the back of the front fenders as I trimmed out some as you can see in my build up thread. They do need more but I'm going to push the front axle about 3/4 inch and Think that will do the job for my 36s. But you have long way to go with your 42s Before they fit and can really flex out. A few pics of your spring setup would be appreciated ;).

01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
Clubbs

« #33 : March 03, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »

I'll post up some pics after I get the fenders trimmed.  I'll get some before and after pics with flex pics too.  Not sure how much of the stock metal I'll have left.  I may narrow the front and pull the fenders in.  Not a huge fan of how this looks, but I've never been known to build my stuff to look pretty.  There's plans for boat sides in the near future as well so slicing the bottom of the fenders off is just a matter of time anyway. 

Pretty certain I'm going full hydro on the steering and trying to source an orbital valve direct from danfoss or some other hydraulic supply so I don't have to pay the PSC premium.  I'll use the stock pump, add a cooler and a single ended ram from tractor supply and be motorin for less than $500 instead of the $1800 for the basic PSC kit = crazy...

This started out as a prestine RC (still no rust) no rock rash until the last few years, but its starting to molt now.  Still beating the jeepers to the top of the mountain though.  can't let them catch up.
Sten

« #34 : March 04, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »

Why not go to some farmers junkyard and look for that orbitrol setup for your self, and you don't have to pay too much for a set with different parts from tractors and excavators. One of my friend did that and got a set very cheap. I've been thinking about a crossover as we over here are not allowed to go full hydraulic on a street truck as it have to be mechanically linked together.

01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
01 Chrysler Sebring 2,7
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: