>
Shared Top Border

Shared Left Border
Amazing Halloween Costume Sale at Cute N Kinky. Free Shipping too!
Advertise on ORE
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 05:01:19 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Offroad Exchange - MOD
|-+  Dodge 4x4's
| |-+  '72-'93 Dodge Full-Size 4x4's
| | |-+  How to check for a bad leaf spring??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to check for a bad leaf spring??  (Read 3529 times)
Bigmopar4x4

« on: July 13, 2007, 12:34:02 AM »

Hey guys,

I just stated driving my RC around finally after some issues with the STaK T-case.

Now that It's been driven around, I've noticed that it has a definate lean on the driver's side.  It did not have this when I had the stock rears and crappy Rancho front springs.  I have since done the shackle flip on the rear and have 4" Skyjacker springs all the way around.  The fronts are brand new (with a 4 degree shim), the rears are used (with no blocks).

My question: is there a quick and easy way to check for bad springs or do I have to start swapping the springs around and taking measurements?  Any chance this is just a "spring settling" thing since they only have about 40 miles on them since being installed?

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:33:35 PM by Bigmopar4x4 » Logged

John in So Cal
'74 Ramcharger
Project build site- http://members.cardomain.com/bigmopar4x4
Bill Cooke
Administrator

I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »

I have never seen a Mopar that didn't lean, mostly to the driver's side. 1" is a GOOD truck and 4" is time to throw it away and start over. Think about it. You have the battery(s), steering box, column, brake booster and all that dead weight behind the wheel. They just sag to that side a bit more.

Try measuring everything you can find. Spring eye to spring eye being a good one. Also check shackle angle. If the measurement is the same but the shackle angle is different you have a frame issue.

99% sure it's just a settling thing. Since you have more wieght on one side it's started there first. Give it another 100 miles before you even think about it again.

BTW, Congrats! You got it running! That's awesome! Post some more pics! What was up with the Tcase?

BC

Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!
hilton8r
You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »

My R/C has always leaned a bit to the driver's side. It used to be worse because the body lift pucks were installed towards the middle of the truck. It leveled out quite a bit after the body pucks were moved out to where they should be.

2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...
Bigmopar4x4

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »

Thanks I'll start doing some measuring.  I can tell just by eyeballing it that the shackles are at different angles so the driver's side springs are definately sitting flatter than the passenger side.  I was suspecting that the rear springs were hammered since I bought them from Chrstian Hazel and were on his  RC that he had at the Dodge City thing years ago.

I had it done and drove it around my neighborhood over 6 months ago, but the T-case would pop out of 2WD HIigh.  Called STaK and about 4 months and 4-5 shipments of parts, they finally had it shipped back to them to completely go through it.  As much of a pain in the butt as the whole ordeal has been, they have had the best cutomer service of any vendor I've used in this build.  They stand behind their stuff 100%.  They even told me after I got it back that if anything else was wrong with my case they just send me a brond new one no questions asked.  Most of the problems were that I had one of the first production cases off of their line  since I bought it back in late '05 and now they have changed things up and the parts they were sending me were for the newest design and wouldn't fit.  They also found a bent shift fork and broken shift fork pad which I believe happend in shipping since I got mine in a cardboard box back in '05 and they now ship in a crate.  It works great now and the 5.44 low seems like it'll be awesome off-road.  Need to get some gauges and then I can hook up w/ you guys in Big Bear or something.

How do I get in the "inner circle" so I can post pics?

John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:34:24 PM by Bigmopar4x4 » Logged

John in So Cal
'74 Ramcharger
Project build site- http://members.cardomain.com/bigmopar4x4
MikeT
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:04:42 PM »

I have no lean on my truck but I have had differnt shackle angles since installing the 4" skyjacker springs years ago. I have swaped springs, taken measurements and I am still unable to figure out why. The driver side shackle is straight up and down while the pass side angles back?? The truck drives striaght as and arrow down the road though.Huh If you figure something out please post up, Id like to know.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length