>
Shared Top Border

Shared Left Border
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 12:43:57 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Offroad Exchange - MOD
|-+  Events and Clubs
| |-+  Events, Runs and Gatherings
| | |-+  TDS - 46th Annual Desert Safari (2/29/08-3/2/08)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TDS - 46th Annual Desert Safari (2/29/08-3/2/08)  (Read 22564 times)
hilton8r
You can Dodge a ball if you can Dodge a wrench!
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« on: January 08, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »

It's that time of year again....

The Tierra Del Sol Four Wheel Drive Club of San Diego (TDS4x4) announced the scheduling of its 46th Annual Desert Safari event. Scheduled for February 29-March 2, 2008, the Desert Safari is the largest and oldest event for four wheel drive enthusiasts. Slated to be held at the Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area, Desert Safari 2008 will feature many on-site vendors displaying products in addition to an opportunity for drivers to participate in a “follow-the-leader” obstacle through the desert terrain. Click on the link for more information:

http://www.tds4x4.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=startdown&id=19

2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel (DTD :->)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 390
1974 Plymouth Trail Duster 4x4 440
1943 Dodge WC51...
hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »

Although they are holding the event at Ocotillo Wells, my co-worker and a large group will be camping out at TruckHaven Hills. They decided to continue their Truck Haven Hills tradition and will not participate in the actual TDS event in Ocatillo Wells.

They will be heading out on Thursday February 28th at about 8PM and staying until either Sunday night or Monday morning. I'd like to meet up with them for part of the weekend. Below is a link to a map of the area.

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&lat=33.301867&lon=-115.983657&mag=2

1943 Dodge WC51...
hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:59:15 PM »

My brother in law will most likely be attending as well. The only two things that will prevent him from going are if Finals fall on that weekend and my sister. I have scoop on the sister that he can use as leverage! Grin

1943 Dodge WC51...
EarlKann

Rattle Kann Kustoms

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:13:11 AM »

I'm sure Jed and I will be going.  Not sure what I'll be driving, if anything.  I hope that the grey 4runner sells before then.

Wanted: Set of 80's style gold mod/nugget wheels in good condition.
hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:34:31 AM »

Slap a big 'For Sale' sign on it and maybe somebody at TDS will want it.

1943 Dodge WC51...
Bill Cooke
Administrator

I drive a Dodge, My wife drives... me crazy!

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »

Have they been out there recelently? Last I heard Marina drive is now a housing track. The upper section on S22 near the Road Closed sign (near the big microwave tower) is now Anza Borrego State park and is closed for good too. You can still run many of the washes but be careful around homes. The last thing we want to do is piss people off and get they whole thing closed, right?

Hell or high water I will be there, Hopefully..... Undecided

BC

Jeep is hobby, Dodge is a sickness!
EarlKann

Rattle Kann Kustoms

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »

Have they been out there recelently? Last I heard Marina drive is now a housing track. The upper section on S22 near the Road Closed sign (near the big microwave tower) is now Anza Borrego State park and is closed for good too. You can still run many of the washes but be careful around homes. The last thing we want to do is piss people off and get they whole thing closed, right?

Hell or high water I will be there, Hopefully..... Undecided

BC

If by "they" you mean the members of the Tierra Del Sol 4wd club that put on the run, then yes, they are very active on land use issues in the area.  Since Bill seems to be a bit behind the times here, I'll try to sumarize quickly.

The "Truckhaven" area, also refered to as the Truckhaven/Desert Cahuilla area, and the Freeman properties was purchased/aquired about a year ago by BLM, shortly before last years TDS Desert Safari run.  It suddenly being "public" land (it used to be private) the greenies sued to block the TDS event.  As a result, last years, and this years events were/are being held further north within the Ocotillo Wells OHV park. 
Yes there is a housing track off N. Marina drive.  Yes we should be mindful of the residents, but you can still camp and wheel in that area if you want to.  They just cant hold the official, permitted run in that area without a completed EIR and a bunch of other legal BS being completed first.  They hope to have the Truckhaven area added to the official Ocotillo Wells OHV area, and the Safari back in the usual place by next year.

If you go to the TDS club home page here.
http://www.tds4x4.com/

There is a link on the left side for event registration.  Please register for the event, even if you don't plan on running the organized run.  Registering helps fund the clubs fight to keep our land open for OHV use, and it's the only way to get a ticket for the most kick ass raffle I've ever seen at a 4wd event.

You can also poke around their site for more news and information regarding the Truckhaven properties.

Thank you, and this concludes this public service announcement.

Donald

Bill Cooke
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »

No, I got that. I was responding to John's post and included link to a map showing they were camping off N Marina drive, right where the homes are. I know all the rest of it. My point was things are changing and this is not the time to make enemies out there. Know the new rules and respect them.

BC

EarlKann

Rattle Kann Kustoms

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »

No, I got that. I was responding to John's post and included link to a map showing they were camping off N Marina drive, right where the homes are. I know all the rest of it. My point was things are changing and this is not the time to make enemies out there. Know the new rules and respect them.

BC

Right, sorry I mis-interpreted.  The info is good for John's buddies though.  Embarrassed

Fact is that everybody and their brother still camps off N. Marina Drive.  The last time that went through there (last summer?) many of the homes, especially the ones on N. Marina, were still unsold and/or vacant.  That doesn't mean that people camping there shouldn't take some exta care to avoid bothering the people that are living there, or the developer for that matter.  I've heard that in the past people used to park their motorhomes on the nice level graded house pads, hell I've heard that they even used the concrete foundations before the homes were built.

My suggestion is, if your going to camp there, go well past where the homes are, into the area where the TDS vender row used to be.   As far as Jed and I, I'm not sure we know what our plans are yet.  The Toyota crowd that we usually go with has also talked about camping in Truckhaven and just driving over to OW for the vender row and raffle.

hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »

Thanks for the info... I'll talk to Michael today at work to be sure they are aware of the new homes. They are a large group and also very involved in 'land usage' issues. I'm looking forward to this trip. I need to get away... and I don't have any Calgon! Grin

1943 Dodge WC51...
EarlKann

Rattle Kann Kustoms

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »

Well, the boss has decided for us.  Room reserved at the Desert Ironwoods.

We can still hang out at the "camp".  She just likes to have a clean place to sleep after the great dust storm of whenever.

Jedrattle

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:17:15 AM »

Who is still planning on going?

way too many and not enough $$$
Bill Cooke
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »

I just got my ball joints and wheel bearings fixed so I'm about good to go. Just need to pickup a new pair of shoes for the old girl and pack the cooler.

Cooler check list:
     2 Cases of Beer - Check
     Sandwich Meat - Check
     1 Bottle of water - Check

I'm good to go!   Roll Eyes

BC

Bill Cooke
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 12:01:21 PM »

I can't believe it but Patty actually expressed interst in going  Shocked

So, where are we camping? My truck is not going to fit where the yota are going so are there seats avaiable? (I'm looking for excuses here so work with me people!)

My cooler list just changed, dramtically...... replace second case of beer with 2 bottles of wine.....add actual food....remove first case of beer.....add diet sodas......

Oh well  Sad

BC

Jedrattle

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »

I can't believe it but Patty actually expressed interst in going  Shocked

So, where are we camping? My truck is not going to fit where the yota are going so are there seats avaiable? (I'm looking for excuses here so work with me people!)

My cooler list just changed, dramtically...... replace second case of beer with 2 bottles of wine.....add actual food....remove first case of beer.....add diet sodas......

Oh well  Sad

BC

You know the saying......Happy wife=happy life!!! LOL    Ask me how I know!!!

I am not sure right now.  I think it will be off of main street. I am going out on thursday night. 

hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

I'm sure Jed has my cel number, but I'll pm it to both Earl and Jed. The CB will be on channel 12, but I don't know what kind of range I'll have! I have a feeling that I'll be camping off Marina Drive. Main Street will be packed, and I won't be leaving until Friday morning. I've got some firewood that came from a deck that was painted on one side... Will that cause Drain Bamage?

Did youy sell the Toy Earl?

Are you taking your motorcycle Jed? (No, not the Harley! Tongue)

Be sure to bring your woman Earl... I need her signature! Grin

1943 Dodge WC51...
Jedrattle

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:13 AM »

Main st in Ocotillo. Yes on the bike. I got a new tube and tire for it today. 

Bill Cooke
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 02:21:01 AM »

Main St is a zoo and the constant noise from Blow Sand SUCKS ASS!!!! Those guys only stop to do more crank, about 6 am. Last time (only time) I camped over there I didn't get any sleep for two days and almost got my tent run over (with me in it) several times. I swore if I lived through that second night never again.

Have fun there....

BC

hilton8r
Global Moderator

Pentastar Power!

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 02:35:35 AM »

Main st in Ocotillo. Yes on the bike. I got a new tube and tire for it today. 

That reminds me... I better check to make sure my tube is still good. The tire went flat as I got back from a quick run around the block a few weeks ago... I had a tough time getting the air chuck onto the stem because it was sliding into the rim. I didn't get air into it until last week, but never went back out to see if it held air... Screw it... I'm going out to look right now.

1943 Dodge WC51...
Jedrattle

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »

If you guys don't want to go for TDS ......I am going back out there the following weekend too.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length